I wish I could live somewhere decent

E

english rose

Yesterday the top drawer of 3 draws in my kitchen collapsed, all I'd done was touch the bottom lightly with my fingers, all the contents (shopping receipts - I daren't put anything heavier than that in it) fell on to the floor; these 3 unusable drawers are the only drawers in the kitchen, the units are crap - utter crap, the bottoms of the drawers are so light & flimsy & they're neither glued nor screwed in, rather just slot in to a groove. I wish that I could live somewhere decent, living in barely habitable places is so bad for my mental well-being.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i said to one social worker i'd like a decent place he said we haven't got any decent places the rethink advocate said can you put that in writing so we can use it for campaigning purposes, of course he didn't, theres the choice between private housing and social housing

this is the best i can hope for theres always with social housing and the groups the neighbours are drawn from of problem neighbours

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

Forum Guide
are you in council property? you could always ask to be moved on grounds the place you are living is making your mental health worse xx get a supporting letter from your cpn/support worker or gp xx

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
they've introduced 5yr tenancys for social housing remember that nhs therapist saying "your saying if you get better you could lose your home" she didn't like my brum benefit street scrounger language one bit and refused me help, story of london

Englishrose is in private housing, the landlord could get more if he had a tenant not on benefits

Jaminacaranda

Jaminacaranda

I totally empathise with you (and Rambo) about this issue.

I absolutely hate where I currently live. Sometimes the circumstances in which I live make me cry or simply get very stressed and irritable. I'm very sensitive to noise and the traffic here is dire - as are the neighbours - and I hear emergency sirens at least every ten minutes, day and night. I don't go out at night on my own at all because the streets around me are full of drunks and drug addicts and I have witnessed lots of violent incidents and personally been threatened with violence many times.

My house is so delapidated I can't invite anyone to visit because I would be soooo embarrassed. I'm trying to do it up a bit, on my own, with a very limited income (I live on a pension) and no help from anyone else. My stair carpet is threadbare and quite possibly dangerous. There is black mould on the ceiling in my bathroom and toilet. The fence around the garden is falling down and the neighbours keep coming round to complain.

The trouble is, I own my house but I simply can't afford to move, or pay for professionals to come in and do it up for me :(

E

english rose

are you in council property? you could always ask to be moved on grounds the place you are living is making your mental health worse xx get a supporting letter from your cpn/support worker or gp xx
Private.

Jaminacaranda

Jaminacaranda

Oh if you're renting privately I imagine that's worse in some ways because you can only complain to the landlord...maybe just depends on how good your landlord is. I rented for many years and some were OK and would listen to you and be helpful, others were just greedy b******* who didn't give a damn :(

Jaminacaranda

Jaminacaranda

Is it a furnished flat? If it is, surely the landlord should make sure the furniture he supplied is functional? Although, thinking about it I suspect there are rules about what the minimum is that the landlord must supply if the flat is described as 'furnished' and that minimum is probably pretty meagre :(

E

english rose

No it's not furnished - other than a fridge & a cooker which came with it. Before I can complain about the kitchen units I need to clean & tidy up - which I haven't been able to do due to my MH problems.

E

english rose

The cooker is broken & it's frightening me - if it's not sorted than I reckon it will electrocute me, the socket in the wall where you turn it on & off has started getting very hot to the touch, bulbs in the oven keep blowing up (and result in the tripper switch going off) after only a few weeks - when the bulb that was in it when I moved in lasted over 4 years; all this has started happening since I had it cleaned by a professional - but that has to be a coincidence surely, I'd have cleaned it myself if I wasn't so lethargic due to my MH problems. I will have to tell the landlord, I get so nervous when I have to see him to complain about a fault in the flat, this cooker is dangerous now I reckon, for me seeing the landlord about these problems is very stressful & I feel so very uncomfortable.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
you could get a cheap belling or baby belling or similar i've got one in case the cooker gives up, you just plug it into a socket

Jaminacaranda

Jaminacaranda

I really think you need to complain about this English Rose. If your landlord isn't willing to do anything, maybe try contacting the CAB?

E

english rose

I really think you need to complain about this English Rose. If your landlord isn't willing to do anything, maybe try contacting the CAB?
The cooker is OK now - I've discovered what's wrong, the cleaning company provided me with dud bulbs (after taking my good one out), I will buy some decent bulbs from the local hardware store. As for other stuff, well I know that a lot of people end up homeless because their landlord evicted them for complaining too much.... I've had a bad experience with the CAB & so am put off them, I do not rate them.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
got a taxi back 2 days ago.i'd be grateful if people wouldn't ask me what i was doing in a taxi on benefits, some would resent me visiting my 94 yr old mother at xmas and social anxiety makes crowded trains buses painful

Anyway when we got to harlesdon the taxi driver asks if he can put the locks on the doors, then he offers to stop of at a shop because it's not safe to be out at night in the area

He was like the guy in taxi driver

E

english rose

My bathroom is freezing. There is an extractor fan - which I don't even need because I can & always do open the window after I've had a bath, all the extractor fan does is allow lots of cold air to fill up the bathroom, it does nothing to combat the damp in the bathroom because the damp is not caused by condensation - it's caused by the fact that 3 out of the 4 walls are bordering on the outside rather than other rooms & they are not properly damp-proofed & moisture from outside seeps through.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i've had bathrooms with wet damp, have you heard of flash mildew, mostly because i can't afford the heating properly

BorderlineDownunder

BorderlineDownunder

Ugh I had a slumlord over my homeless period - right before I got the Public Housing Im in now

He would stalk me

his cockroach ridden dump

I refused to pay him another bean that's why

exorbitant rent and cockroaches everywhere

I said, I'll see you in court you Slumlord

So he began stalking me stupid old fool

Of course all this triggered off a BPD episode

He should know better than to piss people off like that

He's lucky that's ALL I did :(

but it would've cost him a couple hundred in repairs :p maybe forced a clean up

old cooze lives in Marijuana Parade too >>>humungous mansions

and he stole 3 brand new bras off the line