• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

i will tell why we get fat on meds as i think

T

trainwreck

99% of us on meds are on them for some form of anxierty.when in a state of anxierty you never put weight on as we no ,in fact we loose it like hair on a balding man.its the quickest weight lost factor there is.sometimes a stone in a week is not hard.we have no appetite an when you do eat it gets burnt up faster than a cheap cig.food becomes a not bothered topic ,an when we eat it comes out your arse faster than you ate it,so we blame the meds for weight gain , part true, but if your meds start to work an the anxierty fades what do we fancy ? everything we didnt before ,ie fry ups , burgers , chips , ect , bring em on,but hey were is the magic that burns it off . you have killed it with meds.you carnt have it all roads . eat well an be thin no anxierty an be thin,you may have only become free from major anxierty you have had years, sure you still have some but not as bad now we have the fat meds.think if all the time you had never been trapped by anxierty , what would your normal weight have been. look at your friends what happens to them as they get older , thats right fat.they probably said at one time i wish i was as thin as you am i right,it used to be said to me.the meds slow you down so your not so active . me i do 5miles aday with my terriers ,but i dont get thiner , mabye if i didnt do that i would get fatter i guess. so really you could eat all day with anxierty an no meds an thin but still be very ill. or take your meds have some sort of life in a fashion but dont expect to be slim, thats just the way it is for us mentally ill victims of life. :cool::cool::cool::cool:

Last edited:
G

GrizzlyBear

Founding Member
When I was too anxious to eat for two months (bar the occasional nibble) I lost no weight at all. If I'd have lost a stone a week I would be close to disappearing entirely! :eek:

T

trainwreck

takeing the 8iss

come on grizz, you no i meant full anxierty for a week not every week somebody must have been fitting you a drip at night while you were asleep to loose no weight with no food for 2 month. unless you were on remedon, i only have to look at the box to get fat. what do you call full anxierty, i call it you tremble so much you pull muscles all over your body , your guts are on fast spin on the hotpoint .you carnt keep your body fluids from doing what they like at any orafic,sweat becomes a river running of you body.you become almost blind with head tention.you want someone to spark you out so you can sleep. that aside if you dont loose weight under those situations ,you must be an alien.:innocent: :innocent: :innocent: :innocent: :innocent: :innocent: :innocent:

Last edited:
D

Dollit

People react in different ways to different things. Most people don't lose weight once their calorie intake goes below a certain level unless they exercise. If your description is accurate trainwreck then that is equivalent to exercise.

T

trainwreck

yes it is a form of forced excercize, if you look at it that way , the calorie ,s burn like a fire because of adrenalin powering through your body, you must have experienced it at some time , when it stops, the weight pile,s back on.so in hindsight if you are full of anxierty an not takeing meds you should be slim, BUT add the meds an slow down the adrenalin rushing an anxierty , ie no burn off .so your answer is yes,well i think that, dont quote me.;);)

Last edited:
S

saffron

our bodies are very strange things. it has been said if you are happy and contented you will put on weight easier than if you are stressed out. but diet also has a important part to play in recovery as well and helping reduce stress also. everyone has different metabolisms also, and although you might do five miles walking if your diet is the same you maintain the way you are, you are fit enough for your purpose. you either increase the excersice and stay ont he same , I assume healthy, diet, or you stay on the same exercise routine and cut down on carbs in your diet.
i dont think anyone would honestly remain stressed to loose weight, because this is fruitless excersice for obvious reasons.
when people stop eating or go on fad diets the body response by slowing down metabolism to reserve energy. but it also causes many more physical and mental problems. impulsivity, irritability, and hyperactivity are normal reactive responses to starvation.
certain Meds certainly do play a part in weight gain as a side effect. boo hoo.
S

T

trainwreck

hey saffron baby im going to ask you something an answer the truth. ok do you smoke, another crutch for the weight lose people. well nown fact the fag? stress buster hunger reducer. no one is going to be stressed to lose weight on purpose how can you be stressed on purpose that dont happen if you did that you should be able to stop it as well be real baby.the 5mile a day is not for weight reduction ,its to loose myself with my dogs an try to be human if i stayed in with my med intake, i would vegitate. if i didnt take meds i would be ill full stop. but as for healthy diet no way i got stuck into a hole ham hock with all the crackeling on today after i had been to the pub, you see today at this bozzer its 2 pints of stella for£3.50 on sat . plus 90tis hard house music.dont worry i only had the 2/. o an 1 at witherspoons with my son.hey its sat,ill or not i do it sometimes like a zombie but i do it ,an i eat fry ups , chips the lot, not all at once, and i eat salad,s i do the lot my brain dont work well but im not dead. im not overweight but im heavier than when im at my illest. i dont get your point baby all i said is meggar anxierty weight loose :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Last edited:
S

saffron

Hi tw
I only smoke weed now and again, by the way, what I meant to say is that some people do use it to keep weight off because they are worried about putting on weight, certain ADs do unfortunately have this side affect, and like you say some people use their 'stress' like ciggies to stop eating, when the ADs start to work I dont think it has anything to do with the fact that you may eat junk becasue you are happier, because your diet can be good and you will still put on weight,
im not saying you walk for 5 miles to loose weight as such, but you did mention that you do this and have not lost anything, why should you, remember also that we store excess energy as fat a lot easier as you get older as well. I not trying to make any point rrealy just discussing what your theory is about, but I think we have our wires crossed somewhere. :confused:
S

T

trainwreck

baby

saffron thats a no the weed, it gives you the munchies dont you think. its no big debate , the meds do put you weight on that is true, but the number of reasons is a mile long, slowed anxierty,the meds themselves, less exercise do to med makeing you lazy,eating an not burning it of with anxierty ,eating to much because you have found the taste again, getting older,the list goes on a on .i was just saying nearly everyone blames the meds includ ing me , but are they to blame all the time i think not. ;);););););););)

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I've put on a fair bit of weight,3 1/2 stone since the Summer of 2007.
I'm still gaining now even though I eat a lot less than I used to.
I'm on olanzapine and mirtazopine.
I'm suffering with anxiety and panic attacks recently and am still gaining weight.
The only thing is I'm drinking a lot of lager,about 4 cans a day.I wonder if the drink is causing the weight gain?

G

GrizzlyBear

Founding Member
I've put on a fair bit of weight,3 1/2 stone since the Summer of 2007.
I'm still gaining now even though I eat a lot less than I used to.
I'm on olanzapine and mirtazopine.
I'm suffering with anxiety and panic attacks recently and am still gaining weight.
The only thing is I'm drinking a lot of lager,about 4 cans a day.I wonder if the drink is causing the weight gain?
There's apparently 165 - 392 kcal per pint. So, depending on brand you could be having quite a lot of calories?

S

saffron

TW, yes I think people find it easier to blame meds, although some have definately proved to have weight gain as a side affect, but to just say its the meds without looking at everything else can be very problematic, I think. but then it is again our lack of education on correct diet and exercise and how it effects the body both mentally and physically. according to a lot of nutritionists and holistic health practitioners a correct diet can help with mental illness in place of meds, obviously it depends what the original diagnosis is.
But then again you could put the fact down that there are a lot more mental health sufferers now because of incorrect diet and lifestyles nowadays. Im not saying that mh has never existed and of course the research is a lot better, but in addition to that our diets and lifestyles are a lot worse now as well, especially in the western world.
proof of this can be seen in indigenous tribes where mh is virtually unheard of and you will not find one obese/unfit/unhappy child or adult amongst them.
your right grizzly people are not aware of the calorific amount of the drink they have, but combined with the junk you end up eating with it, usually, then you can consume the equivalent two days food in one sitting. :rolleyes:
I control my munchies very well by the way TW. :innocent:
S :hug:

T

trainwreck

mirtazapine is on of the famouse weight gain meds ,im banging on about other things as well as meds , but i must admit i stopped that med, the weight gain was the worst i have had. yet some, after a short time on the drug loose the weight. but no i dont like that med an when in hospital i saw first hand people eat like crazy on the drug , :unsure::unsure:

D

Dollit

I've taken lithium for a long time and it is notorious for weight gain. However I have lost a lot of weight lately whilst taking lithium and I think this is down to the fact that I'm quite well at the moment. I'm in a long period of stability.

I do have a struggle with food in general and because of my bipolar I'm extremely chaotic when it comes to food a steady attitude and appetite isn't even in the frame.

It's all down to individuality in the end.

Last edited:
Lozzi_1004

Lozzi_1004

I've been on lithium only a month and I heard it was notorious for weight gain, however I've not gained any weight. I did on citalopram though, piled it on even through I wasn't eating!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Tawny Wellbeing 6