• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

I was diagnosed with depression

S

SilentlyLoud

A while back I posted about feeling like I'm in a constant depressive state that I had gotten rather used to. Following the suggestions of some people who responded, and at the recommendation of my therapist, I saw a psychiatrist. He officially diagnosed depression and prescribed some meds, which I will start taking tomorrow.

I hope they will help. Though there is still my relationship which is still not going well, so not sure if the meds are going to help with the negative feelings caused by that. I also feel like a huge failure, caused partly by my failing relationship and because I feel like I'm an underachiever and have wasted my life and failed at most things I tried to do. Also not sure how the meds would help with that.

It feels like the depression has been getting worse quickly lately, so hopefully the meds are going to stop it getting worse. Right now I'm feeling like I'm at rock bottom. Today I couldn't bring myself to finish the work day so took half the day off (now I'm feeling a bit guilty). I'm also studying for a degree online, and took the decision to drop the courses I'm studying and take a break from uni as my mind is just not there. I feel horrible because of this and even more of a failure.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who suggested seeing a psychiatrist. I may have lived with the depression even longer not knowing it was actually really depression that needs attention and treatment.

2Much2Feel

Yes, @SilentlyLoud, really hoping these work for you. Glad you got in, and if it so happens that these aren't the right fit, remember to not lose hope, as there are a multitude of options out there and it can take a few tries. Best of luck to you, and keep us posted if you can. xx

_Survivor_

@SilentlyLoud , first off I am glad you got out and saw a Psychiatrist and explained how you are feeling so this can be treated. Like the others have mentioned the medications do take sometime to work and adjust in your system so give that some time and also give it time if your Psychiatrist has to adjust things. Good Luck.

S

SilentlyLoud

Thanks @MeAndMyDepression. I was told it would take at least 3 weeks for the meds to start taking effect.

@2Much2Feel Sure will! And thank you. My therapist and the psychiatrist also both assured me that we always try other options if these don't work. I will sure keep this in mind.

@_Survivor_ Thank you! And thanks for info, will keep it in mind.