• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

I was abused and nearly killed in hospital

S

Saiph22

There was a man in there sleeping on a yoga mat HE HAD NO BED IN HIS ROOM. People got locked in rooms and sometimes - not always - given a "urinal" aka an open plastic jug - and other times went on the floor. "If you piss on the floor, you live on the floor" - a "nurse" said. I heard someone say to their nurse that they had pooped on the floor only to be told to clean it up themselves. There was another nurse who got put in restraints, I think for supporting me. Another nurse told them to give an injection in my shoulder and not my butt but they didn't listen to him or me when I said the same. I'm afraid of giving their names for fear of them being persecuted. A peace officer tried to kill me. There was a nurse and another peace officer who stood there watching. He had a Mario tatoo on his arm which distracted me, he used this distraction to push me - he had my arms restrained - into the corner, then gripped my left carotid with his right hand and used his left to push down on my trachea, then when I tucked my chin, grabbed his hands and twisted away, he slammed me into the ground and choked me from the top with his knee. I yelled "You're killing me!" and he stopped. Then all three bolted out of my room, locked it.

I requested to use my phone or the hospital phone to call 911 but the hospital staff called it "inappropriate usage of the phone". It occured around March 6, I was traumatised so I don't remember the exact date. A nurse smuggled my phone to me several days later so I could call 911 and I never saw her again afterwards. I tricked the hospital staff later into giving me my phone by claiming I have a girlfriend who'll commit suicide if I don't call and used that time to send distress messages about the murder attempt and more to every email address I know. They confiscated my phone again for "inappropriate usage". They earlier confiscated all of my property and put me into isolation room for a month from March 1 to March 25, reversing a court decision from February 26 which was to put me on a CTO and used my attempts to escape and the hunger strike I went on as a result of the human rights violations I was witness and victim to as "symptoms of psychosis" to detain me under the Mental Health Act.

In another unit there was no door to the shower, they had it half covered by a plastic bag but when I was undressing to shower I could clearly see the hallway and thus was visible naked. I tolerated this because I had to shower but later spoke up about it at a meeting when I was not in isolation, Feb.28, and was soon after informed by a doctor that unlike my planned discharge under CTO that Tuesday I would remain in hospital for several weeks. This really scared me, plus I had already had enough with my initial 12 day stay in isolation, the lack of heating, the food shortages, the person who was screaming to let them see their lawyer and was denied the opportunity and food and locked in their room a full day so I sent out distress messages to every email address I knew on March 1 saying I was being detained illegally, would kill myself unless discharged immediately, that there was no privacy in shower, that the food made me want to vomit (I almost did from the oatmeal), and that a federal investigation was needed. I also informed them about the person who was denied the right to speak to his lawyer, and that a person next to me just said he did not want to wake up tomorrow.

After this, from what I understand, people called the police and the hospital was in turmoil. A nurse came and told me to hand over my phone. I refused to give it and instead tried to peacefully walk out of my room with all my belongings with intention of leaving hospital. Two security guards restrained me, confiscated all of my belongings, and took me to the isolation room. I spent from March 1 to March 25 in different isolation rooms or "high ops", in 2 units. In one unit I saw the same man as was screaming for his lawyer, who did not need a walking aid before with a walking aid - I'm not sure what it's called, a thing with wheels that goes in front of you. I hope that I'm just reading too much into that. I was not aggressive for a single moment while I was there, I only used peaceful forms of protest. The doctor that I saw and a doctor I have never met wrote these down as symptoms of psychosis and abused the Mental Health Act to issue me renewal certificates and reverse the court decision on releasing me under CTO. I was refused a copy of these certificates for a week after my initial form 1 expired and I suspect that they were not even written before then. I was refused the right to contact anyone, including the police and lawyers, most of the times I requested to do so, and was only allowed phone usage 4 days in that month, including once an hour the one day I made that girlfriend story up. They made sure to not let me call 911 by giving me only the speaking portion of the phone and dialling for me behind a locked window.

They kept me in a small locked white room for a month, going so far as to close the blinds - you can't open them without a special key - because I was signalling my distress to people through the window. The room had conditions which can lead to sensory deprivation. They often ignored me when I asked to go to the bathroom so I had to hold it in. They forced injections in the butt on me with absurdly large needles, in a way that was overly painful. On two occasions they gave me an injection in one side of the butt, then immediately in the other. They stopped it after I stole the hospital phone and called the police to report torture. The nurse that did the double injections was the same one that stood there while I was being murdered and she intentionally showed off the needle length to me saying "that's a long needle" to intimidate me. I was already on a monthly dose of Abilify as per the CTO decision and even took a dangerously high dose because my doctor said it would get me discharged faster so I did not need further medication.

These injections were sometimes so painful that I could not sleep afterwards and on one occasion my leg started spasming uncontrollably. I believe that these injections were torture and together with the murder attempt were made because I was constantly inciting the nurses to go on strike against all these violations by telling them to not be slaves and quit their jobs at the beginning of March. I was targeted for speaking out against abuse and torture. In one unit there was a door to the shower but the shower was filthy and was not cleaned for at least a week. I refused to shower because of the filth and because the staff would not give me my shampoo, insisting that I use hospital shampoo instead. After two weeks I could not help agreeing to shower. When I did, they gave me a container with shampoo that was the worst thing I've ever smelled. I have grounds to believe that they mixed something into that shampoo that made it smell like that.

When I was transferred to another clinic I did not receive some of my belongings back. The hospital claims to have returned everything but they have not returned: an icon of St. Michael, four Japanese books, a Russian book, a stylus for writing on tablet, my shampoo and sponge for washing myself, colour pens. They also "lost" my Visa credit card as soon as I was first admitted. It's a good thing all my money is on a different credit card. While I was in isolation after March 1, my clothes was never washed, so I had to reuse less dirty clothing to keep as clean as possible.

Security were rough with me often and sometimes it would feel like my arms are about to break. They restrained me not because I was aggressive - I never was - but because I was peacefully protesting by ringing the emergency call bell in the bathroom. They would always roughly through me on my bed after these protests, and on several occasions they did so in a dangerous manner that almost resulted in injury.

I've been traumatized over my stay at this hospital and it hurts to think that people are still suffering there, that someone still has no bed.

Last edited by a moderator:
JessisMe

JessisMe

Wow it sounds like you have really been through a lot at this hospital. Do you have mental health or disability rights advocacy groups where you are that you could report this to? The hospitals certifying body would be another good organization to communicate this experience with. It sounds like the hospital has some serious problems that need addressing. This should never happen to anyone who goes there for treatment and care again. xo, j

S

Saiph22

I wrote to the Mental Health Advocate and Justice Center, as well as a number of politicians. I don't quite understand what a certifying body is, could you explain please? I've also made a petition and a couple Reddit posts, I originally included the petition here but it looks like it's been removed for privacy. Is there any way to communicate it here, like through messages or something? I'm new to the forum so I don't really know.

S

Saiph22

I'm doing my best but I feel like no response is fast enough and have been refused by various lawyers. Do you or anyone else reading this have any ideas on how to quickly get this into the news? Do you know any journalists that specialize in mental health or the healthcare system's problems?

JessisMe

JessisMe

There should be a larger organization that certifies the hospital and oversees its affairs. You should be able to find it by searching on the hospitals website or just call and ask them.

Argon

Argon

I'm doing my best but I feel like no response is fast enough and have been refused by various lawyers. Do you or anyone else reading this have any ideas on how to quickly get this into the news? Do you know any journalists that specialize in mental health or the healthcare system's problems?
Unfortunately that probably wouldn't help. I was in a hospital like yours. 15 years later if finally got decertified. And it still took 8 years after that to shut it down. A guy who wasn't even mentally ill spent the last 4 years of his life locked up and his story made the papers. People hardly batted an eye. The the next year I met a patient who knew a reporter. My story make the local papers 3 time and even the Boston Globe. It didn't help me get released and no one suggested banning involuntary treatment. Now I have to live with those newspaper articles telling everyone that I was in a psych hospital. There are worse stories like this guy in Nebraska who spent 20 years locked up. You can't even sue.

Dismissal of suit by man wrongly held in psych ward upheld

Ladyfair

Ladyfair

What a nightmare! The place should be shut down and those people arrested.

JessisMe

JessisMe

Unfortunately that probably wouldn't help. I was in a hospital like yours. 15 years later if finally got decertified. And it still took 8 years after that to shut it down. A guy who wasn't even mentally ill spent the last 4 years of his life locked up and his story made the papers. People hardly batted an eye. The the next year I met a patient who knew a reporter. My story make the local papers 3 time and even the Boston Globe. It didn't help me get released and no one suggested banning involuntary treatment. Now I have to live with those newspaper articles telling everyone that I was in a psych hospital. There are worse stories like this guy in Nebraska who spent 20 years locked up. You can't even sue.

Wow, what a story! I read somewhere that those who are able to get off criminal charges by pleading insanity often end up doing more time in a psych ward than they would in jail but twenty years seems awfully long! It said the case was thrown out because it was filed incorrectly. I wonder if they tried filing the case again.

Beta012

Beta012

I've heard of hospitals mistreating patients before as that is something that has happened to very many people. That is terrible that you went through that.
I know the feeling of muscles spasming uncontrollably and not being able to sleep because when I had the flu once that happened to me along with vomiting and I was absolutely miserable. I have muscle spasms daily still since I tend to have them.
What I've learned is, my body can feel miserable, and no matter what state my mind is in, it doesn't help too much. But negative interactions can harm mental states. Intimidation and restraining communication are often used as that has been what my family has done to me at home before. I'm not allowed to call anyone without their approval.
I hope, if you ever have to have a hospital visit again, that it will be at a different, better hospital.
I fear hospitals somewhat. So even though my home is not that nice, I would rather be in it than in a hospital where it is possible that abuse of medications can take place.

S

Schwarzen

I have to be honest here, some of the details here seem so outrageous and bizarre that I can't help but wonder if at least some of it wasn't the result of some form of psychosis. Not being accusative or anything, it could very well all be factual, but that's kind of the feeling that I got reading through it.

Argon

Argon

Wow, what a story! I read somewhere that those who are able to get off criminal charges by pleading insanity often end up doing more time in a psych ward than they would in jail but twenty years seems awfully long! It said the case was thrown out because it was filed incorrectly. I wonder if they tried filing the case again.
Unlikely to win. AP article said
The appeals court also said that the doctors he sued are entitled to qualified immunity because they worked for the state.

I had a lawyer ask if I wanted to look into a lawsuit and I said no, because they have the qualified immunity law in my state.

And I saw people get longer sentences in the hospital all the time. My charge was misdemeanor simple assault. Max sentence is one year. I did two +. A guy who stole cigarettes got six months. A guy hitchhiking on the interstate got 7 months. A guy who locked himself outside a motel room naked got 7 months. The last 2 also got force drugged.

Here is a recently published article that I haven't see yet:

Worse than Punishment: How the Involuntary Commitment of Persons with Mental Illness Violates the United States Persons with Mental Illness Violates the United States Constitution Constitution

S

Saiph22

That's horrible. I didn't know it was that bad. I guess it'll be harder than I thought. I'm not gonna stop trying because it's hard. I have a petition against the hospital and involuntary detention, and for more human rights protections, but it gets blocked when I try to post it here. If I can contribute to stopping human rights abuses faster at least a little bit, it's still worth it. It's just frustrating how the process is like trying to break a wall by bashing my head against it.

S

Saiph22

I have to be honest here, some of the details here seem so outrageous and bizarre that I can't help but wonder if at least some of it wasn't the result of some form of psychosis. Not being accusative or anything, it could very well all be factual, but that's kind of the feeling that I got reading through it.
I hope the thing about the guy suddenly gaining a walking aid is just my misunderstanding, I'm certain everything else is fact. At the very least, I know I did not hallucinate the pain of being choked. The police have not arrested the culprit nor his two accomplices, they were still there when I was finally transferred to another hospital. And all the nurses that denied me usage of my phone to call 911 need to be prosecuted too. There are cameras there so if an actual investigation is done, proof will be found, and a patient commented on me having marks on my neck so they're a witness.