• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

I want to be me, not what society wants me to be.

What do you think?

• I agree - I don't think I'll ever enjoy life like I should.

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • I agree that we're greedy, but I'm still happy with the way things are.

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • I love modern life, why go back to being mere animals?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I think you're absolutely bonkers.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Sarah0407

Sarah0407

Hi everyone.
I hope this is the right place to post this.

This meaning of this post is just to get opinions and write down my feelings, not to state facts or try to preach, but to simply discover if other people have the same outlook as me. It's possibly going to sound and be very naive, but I think it's okay to just type it and not have to justify it.

Right...
I personally believe that humans beings are not designed for this type of life. I've been brought up to believe that going to work, money, taxes, insurance, etc are normal, and whilst they are normal to society... it's not natural.
I don't feel natural doing this. I wake up feeling anxious and unrested and people inform me it must be because I don't get enough sleep, even if I usually get between 6 and 10 hours sleep. No, the real reason is we're not designed to be harshly awoken by an alarm, we're not designed to spend 8+ hours a day stuck in an office or on a building site etc working for money that basically covers rent, bills and groceries. It's not natural to only have 2 days a week to actually be us.

People tell me that I just need to find a job I love but I don't believe I will ever be content and relaxed in a job because it's not what my body is made for.
Why do humans think themselves special enough to rule the world, to work for money and create all these stressful things that we don't really need? No other species does this, we are the only ones.

I'm not knocking the modern world because obviously it does wonderful things. Modern medicine is a great thing but it also is a bad thing - we are now over populated because we don't die off naturally like other species - we are basically taking over the world and destroying it.

My cats lounge around all day and it's considered normal but if I chose to lie in bed all day I would get called lazy. Why do we hold ourselves at a higher standard? I know a lot of people who love going to work and would be bored with out it and I wish I was like them. Instead I always wish I could stay at home and relax because that's the only way I can feel happy and natural. And I've done various jobs to see if they suit me better, both freelance and employed. Growing up, I have lost my passion for art and my free happiness. I know this is a weird thing to argue because obviously we need to work to afford rent etc but... we coped before money. We simply hunted for our own game, rose with the sun and slept when it set, we were small communities and we had spirit. Now there is too much technology, too much distance and expectation.
Brains should hold the ability to let us sleep, eat and reproduce. Now we've added a ridiculous amount of things to it out of greed and my mind honestly feels like the opening minutes of Black Friday.

Society, that's what it all comes down to. I don't think I'll ever be truly content in my lifetime because this is not what I'm designed for.

:scared:

pepecat

pepecat

Have you read 'News from Nowhere' by Wililam Morris? I suspect you might like it.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I voted for - I agree that we're greedy, but I'm still happy with the way things are.

I pretty much agree with what you're said Sarah, and I also think that waaay to much importance is put on what you have and our society is way too materialistic.
The only reason I say i'm happy with the way things are is simply because of how used to convenience I am.
If you put me in a forest and said 'survive', I probably wouldn't.
I've previously romanticised the past and thought about how much better things sounded before people became addicted to technology and didn't have the luxury of caring about having the latest things etc, but to be honest, there were very hard challenges faced by people who lived in times gone by.

It's an interesting one though. I hope that ultimately in the future we can find balance between all of these different aspects of ourselves/needs.

M

mooncat

Hello.I believe thats much more of a possibilty to live like that.But not in this country..
Somewhere warmer but right out in the sticks.Somewhere were time seems to have been forgotten. (no not worthing!!)
Your own fruit and veg a couple of cows and chickens.
Be nice wouldnt it...
Would be a perfect place to re connect with your art.

life2live

life2live

ACCOUNT CLOSED
The money system has created a slave planet where people are so busy swimming against the tide they have no time to question the system for fear of drowning. I believe we are seeing the end of that system and more enlightened times lay ahead. The people in power are trying to hold back a tidal wave for change. Their crimes are being exposed daily. I can not ever be happy in the current system and voted as such. But I do believe change is coming.

Jaminacaranda

Jaminacaranda

Too many people is essentially the problem. We could live more self-sufficiently and naturally only if the current world population were immediately reduced by two thirds (I read this on a 'green' website recently but can't remember which - sorry!) and I also read that global warming cannot now be reversed even if the entire world adopted a 'one child only' policy. I don't know if that really is true (even scientists are biased and obey their paymasters these days) but it wouldn't surprise me. I think you would also have to completely change the economic system, wouldn't you? You wouldn't be able to have world market economies because people would not be creating enough surplus? It would be nice though, wouldn't it? The only thing about modern life I would hate to give up would be the internet! Oh, and the NHS of course...so how would we pay for services like that? There are some small communities that survive apparently quite happily without all the trappings of modern life and when I see documentaries about them I always say 'Let's move there!' but then I think me being there would be a contamination :(

life2live

life2live

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Too many people is essentially the problem. We could live more self-sufficiently and naturally only if the current world population were immediately reduced by two thirds (I read this on a 'green' website recently but can't remember which - sorry!) and I also read that global warming cannot now be reversed even if the entire world adopted a 'one child only' policy. I don't know if that really is true (even scientists are biased and obey their paymasters these days) but it wouldn't surprise me. I think you would also have to completely change the economic system, wouldn't you? You wouldn't be able to have world market economies because people would not be creating enough surplus? It would be nice though, wouldn't it? The only thing about modern life I would hate to give up would be the internet! Oh, and the NHS of course...so how would we pay for services like that? There are some small communities that survive apparently quite happily without all the trappings of modern life and when I see documentaries about them I always say 'Let's move there!' but then I think me being there would be a contamination :(
I keep hearing this argument of too many people, but its a load of crap IMHO. We have enough resources its just people don't want to share. I believe its our destiny to colonise other planets anyway.

Jaminacaranda

Jaminacaranda

I keep hearing this argument of too many people, but its a load of crap IMHO. We have enough resources its just people don't want to share. I believe its our destiny to colonise other planets anyway.
Well I'm not a scientist so I don't really know but most scientists seem to agree we have global warming now and unless we stop using so much power the situation isn't going to change so I'm not sure it is just about sharing, although granted that's been a huge problem all along - back to greed again.

Sarah0407

Sarah0407

Have you read 'News from Nowhere' by Wililam Morris? I suspect you might like it.
I haven't but I'll add it to my to-read list on Goodreads. :)

Sarah0407

Sarah0407

Thanks everyone for your replies, it's a difficult problem isn't it. We're too far gone to change anything and unfortunately our generations are suffering for it. I do love technology but we focus too much on it - it isnt everything.

T

TheRedStar

Thank you Sarah for such an interesting thread.

I don't think many people appreciate - or even think about the concept - that the current 'normal' has lasted for merely a fraction of the time that human beings have existed. Furthermore, despite what we currently know representing the blink of an eye relative to the lifespan of our species, during this short period of time we've, frankly, fu*ked with our evolutionary design so much, and so quickly, for pretty arbitrary 'needs', that I think it understandable how some people could struggle greatly - physically and/or emotionally - with such demands.

The economic demand which gets me above all others is the 'need' for shift work, because it fu*ks with our specifically evolved sleep cycle (the circadian rhythm), and adequate sleep is so important for an individual's physical and mental health. It is also the case that we are daytime creatures - we are literally designed to be asleep, or at least resting, when it is dark - and so I don't believe it healthy for individuals to forcibly spend so much time active during night-time hours.

While we've always had to 'work' in some manner, I think there are certain key factors which distinguish today's work from that which early humans had to perform; the time spent doing it, the physical nature of it, and the obvious necessity/importance of it. Firstly, it is my understanding that, for all their primitiveness, something that proto-humans had over us is that they didn't spend anywhere near as many hours of the day working... arguably, we are not designed to do so much work. In this regard, something I do know is that human concentration adheres to a bell curve which drops away sharply at the 9hr mark... however, despite this, it seems to me that ridiculously long shifts - and in jobs where mistakes can cost lives, as I experienced when I was a train driver - are becoming more, rather than less, prevalent.

As for the 40hr working week... all I can really say there is that I struggle to concentrate on my hobbies, my favourite things to do, for that amount of time over the space of seven days - certainly for 8hrs in one go - let alone things I, frankly, wouldn't do if I had any real choice in the matter.

When I previously mentioned the physical nature of 'old' work, what I specifically meant was the way in which those jobs required people to move around a lot more than contemporary ones. We're not sloths - we're active creatures, and so I don't think sitting at the same desk, in front of the same screen, for 40hrs+ per week is something we're naturally suited to.

Then there's the obvious utility of work; basically, even if a task is dull, it is usually more bearable if it's at least clearly useful and necessary. However, I believe there are a lot of jobs now where it is very difficult for those performing them to see what use they are to anybody. Worse than this, there are even some jobs where it's clear to see that the ultimate objective is to fu*k people over - just look at cold-calling/knocking on door positions, which basically involve trying to harass folk into spending money in some way. Alternatively, I once knew someone who got very - understandably - disillusioned with a job she'd previously had when she realised that the crux of 'after-sales support' was coming up with any and every excuse possible to deny customers exchanges or refunds.

I too have had the whole 'you just need to find a job you love' line thrown at me, but the fact is there's nothing I love more than my time being my own. Don't I want to feel useful? Well, to repeat a previous point, I think it's arguable how 'useful' a lot of contemporary work is. Don't I want to 'contribute'? What, to a neoliberal society I don't particularly believe in? Not really... frankly, the only significant contribution I'd like to make to this system is to end it!

Being something of a tech geek, another comment I get from people is that the kind of gadgets I'm fascinated by wouldn't have been invented in a differently structured society. It's a fair point, but it makes the assumption I couldn't live without them... however, I think a lot of such modern toys are compensation - material 'bribes' designed to make up for how the system which produces them is taking us away from our humanity, and thereby creating a need for such salves in the first place.

Personally I love the internet, but I wonder how much I'd 'need' it in a more humane, less atomised world.

Sarah0407

Sarah0407

You're welcome TheRedStar, sorry for the late reply, I've been quite busy.

Thanks also for an interesting response.

I can't really talk in regards to not sleeping at night because I find that I am a nighttime person. However I do go to bed at 10-11 when I have to get up early or if I'm tired. If I'm left to my own devices then I could easily stay up until about 3am.

Yes I agree, previous work was to keep us safe, alert, to get food, to build shelter and make crafts. My current job is to answer the phone and do various assistant jobs to a brand design company... I've only just started but this gets a little boring for 8 hours a day 5 days a week. I don't feel useful. I have also lost passion for my hobbies because I'm simply drained by the time I get home.

I too have had the whole 'you just need to find a job you love' line thrown at me, but the fact is there's nothing I love more than my time being my own. Don't I want to feel useful? Well, to repeat a previous point, I think it's arguable how 'useful' a lot of contemporary work is. Don't I want to 'contribute'? What, to a neoliberal society I don't particularly believe in? Not really... frankly, the only significant contribution I'd like to make to this system is to end it!
I agree so much with this I just want to run and hug you!

As for gadgets, yes I agree. We are currently sitting on a computer with a phone sitting next to us, the TV on and the lights on. I'm drinking wine from a powered fridge and I have running water. We're like this because this is what we've brought up in, but if we'd never had this, we wouldn't think any different. We've come too far and taken things for granted and now we're this. I love the internet but it's far too wide, too much death and murder online, cyber bullying, pointless celebrity news etc. The human race is just too vain.
We shouldn't put ourselves above animals, we are no better than them and it frustrates me that people think this. I'm not a vegetarian because I eat meat, that is what we're designed for, but I don't eat animals because I think I'm better than them but because it's natural. Same way that lions eat zebras and cats eat mice etc.

It's difficult because there are pros and cons to modern life, but its mostly cons and we're too brainwashed to think differently. Thanks for this discussion!