• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

I want to be alone

K

Kimm

My anxiety screws everything up. I can’t even form a complete sentence without jumbling over my words or saying words out of place

ex put the trash can in the trash can
i like chocolate cookie chips

i feel like an idiot. I used to think of myself as a smart , happy, semi-outgoing person.

now I feel dumb, sad and a burden to my spouse.
It feels good to vent. The few people I’ve told about my anxiety just brushes it off and not see the seriousness of it

geraltofrivia

geraltofrivia

Thank you for sharing your feelings, Kimm. I am sorry you have been experiencing this. My anxiety makes me stutter a lot too, and I definitely feel your frustration and embarrassment, especially in social settings. Things like this can definitely make you feel less than you are, but I encourage you to remember that while you may be feeling this way, that's not really who you are. If you "used to be" a smart, happy, outgoing person, then you still are. These qualities do not go away, they may just be suppressed until you are confident enough to show them again. Talking about these kinds of things can help you realize your emotions and make them solid things that you can embrace and change into the emotions that you would rather have. One thing that has helped me is practicing what I'm going to say before I say it, taking deep breaths and "cooling off" before I have to speak, clearing my mind so that I can focus on one thing at a time. I would also suggest discussing this with your spouse; sometimes people can surprise you with how understanding and patient they can be. I hope this helps!

jajingna

jajingna

The few people I’ve told about my anxiety just brushes it off and not see the seriousness of it
Strange that people aren't more aware. It's a common disorder too, that has a major impact on many people. There are serious papers about it, if you look up "social phobia research articles" you'll see that clinicians are keen to explore causes and treatments.

A serious problem that is really debilitating for millions.

jajingna

jajingna

Just from a quick search:

What percent of the population has social anxiety?

An estimated 7.1% of U.S. adults had social anxiety disorder in the past year. Past year prevalence of social anxiety disorder among adults was higher for females (8.0%) than for males (6.1%)

And:

Social anxiety disorder is the most common subtype of anxiety disorders, affecting 15 million adults in the US every year. Although the symptoms are often unbearable and hard to handle, 36% of the people with social anxiety said that they sought help after 10 years of living with social anxiety. (Jan 29, 2020)

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

Those feeling go hand in hand with anxiety and depression. Hold on to your partner then you wont be lonely. The rest will follow