• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

I want off most, if not all, my medication

Lincoln1990

Lincoln1990

I'm on literally 9-10 medications to "keep sane". Well I want off of some of them. I'm on way too many (I feel). I'm no longer paranoid or suicidal. I get some days where I can't get out of bed or have little energy or have depression but those days are less and less. I'm applying for jobs (I spent 2 hours at the library yesterday looking at jobs and typing my résumé). I'm hopefully going to school in the fall (if I get a job at my first choice I probably won't right now). I'm ready to get on with my life. I barely hear voices anymore. I haven't tranisitoned in a month or two. Everything is going really well.

But I need to get off of some of them. They make me fat, sex is undesirable, I'm hungry all the time, the weight won't come off and also my sleeping is so off. I don't get to sleep for 3-4 hours after I go to bed. I sleep off and on every night.

I have motivation for the first time in forever. I'm actually doing something more than watching TV. I'm getting out of bed before 11-12 every morning. I have energy most days.

I just want to say this and maybe get support. But if not, well I'm okay with that too.

Mister.B

Mister.B

I'm glad you're doing well.

As much as I hate medication, I wouldn't tempt fate and come off any of it just yet.

I hope you remain well.

H

Helena1

Staff Member on Leave
Don't you think there is a chance the medications are making you well and coming off them will make you go bad again?
What does your doctor say?

Kerome

Kerome

You sound well though Lincoln, a lot better than at other times recently. So happy for you about that.

I'd also sound a note of caution about coming off meds, when you've got a good period it's tempting to do something and come off but it's important to stabilise for a while after a difficult time.

But big hugs whatever you do ;););) :hug:

H

Haley

Hi there. I just want to share that when I got off my medications, all of them not just some like you want to, I didn't realize the reason I felt better was because of the meds. So when I dumped the meds, gradually, I went right back to extreme anxiety and insomnia. Since then I learned about neurofeedback and chelated minerals. I have this theory that if I quit the meds again I'd need something like that to balance my brain because the drugs make it become dependent. I worry for you when you say you want off the meds because the doctors don't do anything to make quitting actually work. They always "fix" one drug with another. Next thing you know, you're on a dozen meds. I'm on three psyche meds and one is definitely useless but quitting is so stressful I'm unlikely to do it. I also hate being fat, but better fat than crazy.

Lincoln1990

Lincoln1990

Thank you.

I just don't want to be on meds for the rest of my life :/ I've been on meds for almost 15 years and I'm only 24! I just want to feel "normal". Like normal people.

I will have to think more about it.

Am I on too many drugs in your opinion? I'm just curious. She said we could taper slowly but you all brought up a good point in that. That does make sense.

I feel I'm on too many. I'm on so many drugs to sleep. And I don't like it. But I understand that the drugs might be helping.

I don't know. My thinking isn't great. I forget what I'm talking about quite frequently but that's due to the meds I'm sure. And to get a job will be difficult to do. But I need to do something because I can't stay home any longer.