• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

I want another attempt off meds

M

milly

i want a trial off meds. I attempted this before once with the supervision of my pdoc about a year ago. I did this because I was in remission for a total of 4 years and it was my only episode. I was only on 5mg Abilify so I went off it cold turkey. Big mistake started feeling irritable, unable to sit still, very very impatient, upset at stupid things, crying at work for no reason and just unable to do anything with my life. Lasted 3 weeks before I said need to go back on them. Of course there was no psychosis but I had no choice but to get back on them. This time my pdoc suggests (he's a different one) to go off it slowly not cold turkey. I am considering this option but right now I think I will wait just one more year. I mean whats one more year right?

RainbowHeartz

RainbowHeartz

perhaps ask your pdoc about this its possible you might be taken off meds gradually xoxox

keepsafe

keepsafe

Hi I was on 40mg of Abilify, came off it slowly slowly slowly. I don;t know what the outcome will be, but this is my second time trying, last time I only got down to 15mg. Things are hard, but I want to stay off them. I hope you can give it another go.

Take good care
KS
xxx

tabbykitten

tabbykitten

Did the cold turkey bit and, like you milly, it was a big mistake. Next time I stopped the SSRIs I waited several months to make sure I was actually improving, then I took several more months to come off the tablets altogether. I am lucky in having good supportive GPs who supervised the whole thing.

Another point worth considering. At some point in the future you might - just might - need the medication again.Getting help early could be useful. Again I am lucky, my GPs believe in the use of St. John’s Worst as an alternative and I am now taking those when I know I need them. Makes me feel more in control.

tabbykitten

tabbykitten

I do accept that some time in the future I might have to take SSRIs again. Now in my late 60s I have had episodes of depression and anxiety since I was a toddler. At least now I am learning to go with the flow

Kerome

Kerome

I have to do meditation
This is a thread a few months old cloxxx, but generally meditation is not harmful and will help you get a better grip on where your attention goes and what your thoughts do. You might want to look at the mindfulness section of the forum, there is more there about mindfulness and meditation. Wish you the best of luck!

E

ettiene.dyer

generally meditation is not harmful and will help you get a better grip on where your attention goes and what your thoughts do.
Some meditation can cause crisis and is designed to do so for healing, but the Visspana form of Buddhist meditation is general safe if done with an instructor, Buddhist monk or nun, or in a setting where there are others who can train you.

Please read the post from cpuusage and follow his link to the article on safe medication reduction. Do not go off cold turkey, the drugs that are designed to prevent re-uptake of dopamine or seratonin, cause the brain to be awash in the chemicals as the brain tries to compensate. Going off cold turkey, especially if you are a long term users of said drugs, will definitely cause a relapse that might be as bad or worse than the initial onset.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Schizophrenia Forum 46