• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

I want a job

Funnyday

Funnyday

I really do want one. I spend some of my time looking at job adverts of things that may be good to work in. I can never hold down a job as long as I hear voices though. They would just let me come off of benefits. Be as good as gold and once my safety net was removed. They would send me to hell again. meaning that I would lose my home as well as the job.

The voices did it before when I was scheduled to have a brain scan. They kept me awake all night and then harassed me all the way to Scotland. Just so as to stop the scan from taking place.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
I would also love to work but to lose benefits, possibly my home, possibly my life, or my grip on my almost stable life now, it is not worth the risk. It is a pity that some of us might be forced into job seeking at some point anyway. I would wait to be forced into something and in the meantime try to find ''meaningful activity'' as they call it.

R_Sxo

R_Sxo

You can work a volunteering job without it affecting your benefits. That's a good way of gauging what kind of work you can do, how long (hours per day/week), without affecting your safety net. At the moment, there's many volunteer roles out there, so take a look at some of those x

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

Certain types of jobs suit us. Outdoor jobs, therapeutic jobs, creative jobs.

Stay away from the office - it is always toxic and fucked up.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
I said to some women i'd do voluntary work or part time work if you can arrange some social worker to deal with the benefit side

I

indigo6

I ditto Lord Bs reply

P

pollypocket88

Hi there

I understand where your comming from it took a lot for me to get back into work then I was discriminated against I have a upcoming pre hearing for the tribunal im takin Them to for disability discrimination . I found that when going for interviews soon as I mentioned my mental illnesses you could tell I wasn’t going to get the job .
Like you said it’s a hard thing to decide and then if the job doesn’t work out or if your health gets worst then you have to apply to get all your benefit again .

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Certain types of jobs suit us. Outdoor jobs, therapeutic jobs, creative jobs.

Stay away from the office - it is always toxic and fucked up.
Totally agree with that. I managed to work most of my life but it was office work that tipped me over the edge. Office politics, bullying and strict timeline targets just became too much for me. Fortunately i was nearing retirement and took redundancy

P

pollypocket88

Yeh office is the worst agreed

S

Shay94

Took me ages to find a job, was stuck on centrelink for 10 months & then was worse when this virus started. Depression hit me really hard being home all the time, although has gotten slightly better with new meds. I find working with animals helps my anxiety lots better than people, even though I do have to interact with others a bit. If you really want work, try finding something you're passionate bout & doesn't require to be too close to people every day n slowly make your way up towards something more challenging, if possible

N

natalie

It's already mentioned in here, please do consider volunteer roles, please do consider as you imply your mental health regarding paid work, even on a part time. You would need to have just like meds, the right employer whom would look after your mental health very well at heart.

And you might be right, though there might be experts about to confirm this, you don't want to risk not only your mental health by going into work and have big big big risk problem of loosing your home.

May I ask, are you now on meds to surpress and control your terrible voices?

Best regards,

Natalie.

Funnyday

Funnyday

I'm on medication. It doesn't seem to make much difference.