• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

I tried to get help and got rejected

T

toucan

I tried applying to get help from this group of online psychiatrists who specialize in diagnosing ADHD in adults. I was screened for ADHD and depression, and got this response. I'm afraid to email them back to ask for a more personalized translation. Does it sound like I'm too sick to help or just don't think I have ADHD based on like 5 questions?

Thank you so much for your interest in Ahead. Unfortunately we are not able to accommodate you in our practice at this time, and for that we sincerely apologize. There are certain situations and medical care needs that we are not setup at this time to provide optimal care for. This is because we are a young telehealth-based mental health practice so we do not have resources fully built out like a traditional practice might.

In the future, however, we are expecting to expand on our services and can let you know if we become more equipped to provide the care we feel you deserve.

Again, we are sorry we are not able to accommodate you at this time but do appreciate your interest in Ahead.
I also have a new therapist and I've told her about my struggles with keeping jobs (I'm 36), getting basic tasks done, having mood swings and she seems concerned but doesn't really DO anything practical to help, she just "validates" me, I'm not sure what to do...I'm on the brink of losing my home because they're asking about my employer and I don't have one. I'm a tenant in good standing, but justice is blind. I could put that I'm self-employed because that's my next goal, but they also asked what my income is. I get money through various means, but not a job.

The other day my daughter asked very worried if "anything would ever happen" to me out of the blue, so I'm hanging on to my sanity as much as possible to avoid doing anything drastic...if I did anything to hurt myself it wouldn't be a conscious choice, it would be a psychotic urge when I'm unwell. I keep my anxieties down by reminding myself I've never blacked out or anything... (You know how some people black out and hurt themselves and don't remember how it got there later on.)

P

Purpleplum

Find another place for help...never give up. You will face being turned down sometimes but keep fighting...this is your life to save.

J

JeanPierre

I tried applying to get help from this group of online psychiatrists who specialize in diagnosing ADHD in adults. I was screened for ADHD and depression, and got this response. I'm afraid to email them back to ask for a more personalized translation. Does it sound like I'm too sick to help or just don't think I have ADHD based on like 5 questions?

I also have a new therapist and I've told her about my struggles with keeping jobs (I'm 36), getting basic tasks done, having mood swings and she seems concerned but doesn't really DO anything practical to help, she just "validates" me, I'm not sure what to do...I'm on the brink of losing my home because they're asking about my employer and I don't have one. I'm a tenant in good standing, but justice is blind. I could put that I'm self-employed because that's my next goal, but they also asked what my income is. I get money through various means, but not a job.

The other day my daughter asked very worried if "anything would ever happen" to me out of the blue, so I'm hanging on to my sanity as much as possible to avoid doing anything drastic...if I did anything to hurt myself it wouldn't be a conscious choice, it would be a psychotic urge when I'm unwell. I keep my anxieties down by reminding myself I've never blacked out or anything... (You know how some people black out and hurt themselves and don't remember how it got there later on.)
Hi, No it is not that you are too ill to help. It does not sound like that at all.
Do ask questions of them so you can be clear.

***the reason they are asking about your income is to see if you are eligible for Medicaid is what I think b/c I was asked this at my psychiatrist's office about 6-8 months ago.
They were screening everyone.

I don't know of course, but do you think perhaps the online shrinks are not set up to prescribe meds? Could you see an in person doctor?
Thankfully things are opening up here.

I think you should bring this up with your therapist at once. If you do have ADHD the proper meds will help you keep your jobs, right?

Get your rest and good nutrition so your little daughter doesn't have to worry about you.
She is not to worry or be scared. We all know how that is. To be little and scared.
Best luck and I sure hope this helped.

T

toucan

Thank you both. To clarify a couple of things:

I went to renew my lease and the office asked for employment. It's to make sure I can pay.

I also applied for Medicaid and didn't get it so there's that. I don't know why.

I thought the online doctors said they could prescribe medication because they have a monthly plan for it.

I was thinking about it and I wonder if I got auto-rejected by the system because I chose that I had recent self-harm and suicidal thoughts. I got the email in the middle of the night about 2 hours after I submitted the application.

I can't take advantage of emergency services because I have no suicide attempts or substance abuse, but every resource for normies that I reach out to won't/can't help me because of suicidal ideation and a history of self-harm. Like what kind of limbo hell is this. Are any of you in this same limbo?

A friend gave me some resources, so I will try those next.

Argon

Argon

We have one community mental health organization that isn't supposed to reject anyone. I was referred there after I got locked up in a psych hospital. Other places can and will reject you. I tried talking to people before I got locked up and got rejected. More recently I have been rejected by lots of dentists because I complain about dental allergies. They don't want to have to deal with that.

P

Purpleplum

I went to renew my lease and the office asked for employment. It's to make sure I can pay.

I also applied for Medicaid and didn't get it so there's that. I don't know why.

I thought the online doctors said they could prescribe medication because they have a monthly plan for it.

I was thinking about it and I wonder if I got auto-rejected by the system because I chose that I had recent self-harm and suicidal thoughts. I got the email in the middle of the night about 2 hours after I submitted the application.

I can't take advantage of emergency services because I have no suicide attempts or substance abuse, but every resource for normies that I reach out to won't/can't help me because of suicidal ideation and a history of self-harm. Like what kind of limbo hell is this. Are any of you in this same limbo?

Yeah, it's called: "you're not suicidal enough for us". They expect those in the middle to get help from therapy.

Have you tried support groups?

J

JeanPierre

I'm sorry I misunderstood.
I hope you were able to renew your lease! It's good you have help from other sources.

Medicaid, I was turned down b/c I was right above the income limit by $100 - $200 if I remember correctly.

I don't know what kind of limbo hell you are in but I sure hope you find the exit.
Hopefully someone will come along with better advice.
Best luck with the other resources. ✌

T

toucan

"They helped me after I got locked up" is exactly what I don't want to happen :/ Really sucks that I have to destroy my life before people who can help me will consider doing it. Therapy isn't helping, I've been getting therapy for like a decade. I need a psychiatric evaluation.

I've tried looking for support groups but can't find any. Hopefully the next place I search will have some leads.

JessisMe

JessisMe

It sounds like they are a young organization that focuses on only a few different areas of mental health (maybe anxiety and depression as they are common?) and don’t have staff that are specialized in ADHD at this time. I wouldn’t take it personally. It might be better to work with a more established group for your mental health needs anyway. I would not let it discourage you, just continue to look around. xo, j

P

Purpleplum

"They helped me after I got locked up" is exactly what I don't want to happen :/ Really sucks that I have to destroy my life before people who can help me will consider doing it. Therapy isn't helping, I've been getting therapy for like a decade. I need a psychiatric evaluation.

I've tried looking for support groups but can't find any. Hopefully the next place I search will have some leads.
Did you Google support groups in your area for adult ADHD or depression?

T

toucan

They specialize in ADHD diagnosis, like that is the whole reason they exist. They either don't think I have ADHD or they think I have more than ADHD that they can't work with. I NEED PHYSICAL HELP I AM NOT A PANSY WITH HURT FEELINGS.

I haven't googled those specific groups yet. I can try that next. I found one psychiatric practice near me but they don't have an email form. I found a psych hospital near me that I will research and keep as a backup in case of an emergency.

Still trying but extremely tired.

Argon

Argon

They didn't exactly help me after I got locked up. They took me on, but I'm actually the one who said no to them by that point. I insisted on being free and clear after being locked up for 2 years. The psychiatrists were the problem imo. I doubt you need a psychiatrist. Only profoundly psychotic people really need the psych drugs imo.

M

Mindofthemind

That sounds incredibly difficult to deal with!! They rejected you for reasons only they can know for sure, how you handle it now is what matters.

I am really sorry to hear you've been self-harming, I hope you feel better soon so you won't need to self harm!

Maybe your therapist is not a right match for you, if she is more inclined to provide emotional support but not practical - which sounds that you would much prefer to have practical support, then maybe she is not the right therapist for you.

Something that helps me is putting every problem I face on a piece of paper. If you are facing problems with your house, then writing those out along with steps you have and will take to resolve the issue might help. Start by writing out what the problem is and 3 solutions, then take steps to reach those solutions and adapt your strategy as you go!!

Other things that I have found useful is journaling, Reading psychology books and this forum!!

I pray you soon feel even a little bit better!! Lots of love ♥