• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

I think someone has been using my Mac

T

TheGagagirl1234

Let's make a long story short: I've been suspicious that someone from my college have been using my Mac behind my back. I've overheard many conversations where people have known things they shouldn't, and I don't even talk to them much. Until recently I've always thought it was just me being crazy and paranoid, but I've checked my login history, and sure enough, it seems like my Mac has been opened psysically at times where I wasn't using it. This has happened 3 times in the past two months. It only occurs when I'm in college. I have taken screenshots of the times. I'm so scared and I don't dare to confront them about it, because I've always been socially awkward. What should I do? And what do you think about this situation?

Last edited:
N

nounandnoun

i have no advice i'm afriad gagagirl, but i'm sorry you're having to deal with so much anxiety, sounds like its a very stressful situation for you. i hope it is resolved soon x

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Admin
Hi,
Do you have a password on your Mac?? Keep it with you at all times then it will be safe at college. Disgusting someone has been using your Mac, if you confront the person they will probably deny it.
Take care and good luck at college

T

TheGagagirl1234

i have no advice i'm afriad gagagirl, but i'm sorry you're having to deal with so much anxiety, sounds like its a very stressful situation for you. i hope it is resolved soon x
The strange thing is that no one knows my password except close family members, but they have never mentioned it to others. So I have no clue on how they did it. The only explanation could be if they hacked my Mac, but that is very unlikely and unrealistic.

E

Evil Weasel

I wouldn't worry about it. If they were hackers then they are acting illegally, whatever they do with your information is illegal. Leave them to it. Sad little lives where they have to disrupt another's for whatever reason.
Hope you get it resolved, I know that it must feel very intrusive and threatening.

T

TheGagagirl1234

I wouldn't worry about it. If they were hackers then they are acting illegally, whatever they do with your information is illegal. Leave them to it. Sad little lives where they have to disrupt another's for whatever reason.
Hope you get it resolved, I know that it must feel very intrusive and threatening.
Thanks for your reply. I'm actually very worried about it, and I keep thinking it's just my imagination because the situation is so unrealistic.

E

Evil Weasel

Thanks for your reply. I'm actually very worried about it, and I keep thinking it's just my imagination because the situation is so unrealistic.
Oh well, you may find out or not. It doesn't really matter does it. Nobody really cares about what other think of anyone on this forum it is just another set up.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

That's probably illegal in my country. I don't think I'll be able to do that without informing the others.
Just buy a motion detecting camera , and stick in the corner of your room. You will soon find out if anyone is using your computer.

G

gabzgrl

It's easy to hack a computer. You can do it through malware, iPhones, Microsoft, and etc. there's people who do it all the time. I've seen my old computers logged in and synced with my other or stolen computers. I've had tons of iPhones stolen. Now if my phone stops working I get a free replacement because I have a warranty. But I've lost tons from people hacking my stuff and taking things if I let them borrow them or merely taking them out of my house. I really don't have much left to steal at this point.

T

TheGagagirl1234

It's easy to hack a computer. You can do it through malware, iPhones, Microsoft, and etc. there's people who do it all the time. I've seen my old computers logged in and synced with my other or stolen computers. I've had tons of iPhones stolen. Now if my phone stops working I get a free replacement because I have a warranty. But I've lost tons from people hacking my stuff and taking things if I let them borrow them or merely taking them out of my house. I really don't have much left to steal at this point.
I'm sorry to hear that you have lost so many items because of hacking. It shouldn't be so easy.

Kerome

Kerome

Just buy a motion detecting camera , and stick in the corner of your room. You will soon find out if anyone is using your computer.
Or you could just change your password. If someone is physically logging on that might stop them. Also there are utilities which will get your laptop to take a snapshot through its camera at login, so you could look into that.

blacksmoke

blacksmoke

The strange thing is that no one knows my password except close family members, but they have never mentioned it to others. So I have no clue on how they did it. The only explanation could be if they hacked my Mac, but that is very unlikely and unrealistic.
sometimes others can maybe correctly guess the password, best to mix the password up with upper and lower case and the add random number thrown it. but it needs to be a password that you can use!!

T

TheGagagirl1234

Or you could just change your password. If someone is physically logging on that might stop them. Also there are utilities which will get your laptop to take a snapshot through its camera at login, so you could look into that.
If they have set up a keylogger, then that won't help at all. I think this is how they get my information.