• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

I think my friend is depressed.

T

Tealseal

I am friends with a guy and I think that he might be depressed, I would like some advice on how to approach this please.

He talks about the fact that he can wake up in a morning and not get up for hours at a time until he desperately needs a drink/go to the toilet. When I stayed over he didn't do that because I was there.

He struggles to clean his house and car, his house can be extremely untidy and he only tidies up when he can't leave it anymore and he will tidy if someone comes over out of what seems like embarrassment and shame. So, whenever I've been round it has been tidy and clean. I had never seen his place/car untidy and he actually showed me a video of what it looked like today and I find it quite upsetting that he lives alone like that. I live just over an hour away and can't drive so we don't see each other most weekends, but I find it upsetting knowing that he is living like that and feels that way. He says that he is constantly tired and simple things can make him exhausted.

He isn't motivated to do anything, he puts things off to the last minute, he doesn't care about much. He has opened up to me about it and he said that he has tried everything to get out of bed and motivate himself and he can't. He said that it has been that way for so many years and doesn't think it will ever change. He says that he'll never find a girlfriend and nobody will ever love him. He eats dinner at past 9pm some days as he can't find the motivation to cook.

I have had bad depressive episodes and I understand how he feels because I've been there. But, I don't know how to support him. I care about him and I want to make sure that he feels like he can talk to me. He doesn't tell anyone anything out of shame and guilt and I'm glad he has opened up to me, I don't want him to keep this all to himself.

Again, it's so sad and I don't know what to do. I wanted to speak to him at some point (when the time is right, not randomly) and suggest that he might be depressed. But, I'm not sure how to approach this situation.

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

welcome here x it sounds like you are already there for him which is the most important thing that he has some support ,maybe try and suggest he sees a doctor? when i struggle to talk to people i sometimes write them a letter x lots of love and let us know how you get on x Lu x

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

Your friend is most likely depressed, especially with regard to how you describe his lack of motivation and his struggles. He most likely feels overwhelmed by everything. When the time is right, perhaps you can say to him that you've noticed his lack of motivation and his struggles and you're wondering if he feels overwhelmed by everything. Then ask him if he wants to elaborate on these things, and tell him that you're there for him and that you will support him however he needs your help.

A

Anne Has A Way

Your friend opened up to you about their depression. This is a desire for help. Kindly and lovingly approach them one day, say you think they might be depressed and ask if you can make then an appointment with a mental health professional. Have a number ready and make the appointment as soon as they agree. You DO NOT have to take responsibility, but if your friends struggles with procrastination and shame, they need the little push, it will be the kindest thing you can do.

M

Mistral

I think you have to think what you want from this relationship? From what you have written, there could be a danger that you might come to regard him as a sort of project rather than a friend or someone you can have a long-term relationship with.

If you decide to help him, then think about what practical help you can give him. This might involved quite a bit of your time and also possibly your finances

T

Tealseal

I think you have to think what you want from this relationship? From what you have written, there could be a danger that you might come to regard him as a sort of project rather than a friend or someone you can have a long-term relationship with.

If you decide to help him, then think about what practical help you can give him. This might involved quite a bit of your time and also possibly your finances
I was just trying to be understanding that’s all, I definitely wouldn’t use him as a project. I didn’t know it came off that way. I don’t bring up these things to him really I just listen when he talks about how he feels. Again, I really didn’t know that I came off that way.

M

Mistral

At the minute you are not treating him as a project, but as I said in my post, there is the danger of that happening in the future. I would not try to be a therapist or counsellor to this friend, but do practical things to help him. It can often appear unfair to friends and relatives to give this care as it is essentially one-way in nature.

M

Mistral

In the following video ( 4:30mins) there is an example of what I mean about practical help for someone who suffers from depression. I am not suggesting that you buy your friend a cow, but I think the concept is very relevant to people who want to help friends or relatives who have depression. The rest of the video is quite good as well. With thanks to @FallingLeaves for posting the video earlier today in another thread: