• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

I think lithium is poison

dubblemonkey

dubblemonkey

the chemicals are dangerous

they feel ok for a bit

but the brain goes dead and the life is shifted sideways

bipolar is real and difficult but to saturate the brain with the lithium?

this just hurts

L

LadyDomino

For me, Lithium is one of the many things that keeps me stable.

I hate being reliant on so many drugs, but the consequences of being drug free aren't worth tinking about.

dubblemonkey

dubblemonkey

do it 5 times?

the lithium becomes a danger

us bipolar are just wasting time

B

boffin1252

I read something that lithium has neuroprotective properties. It's really bad for your kidneys tho.

F

fluffpill

ACCOUNT CLOSED
i read in 'an unquiet mind' that lithium makes it difficult to read and process information. is that true? sounds awful. i heard it's easy to get lithium toxicity too on lithium, especially high doses, and its symptoms take a long time to go away. i don't want to scare anyone but this book had a long discussion on lithium.

S

StillDepressed

I'm on Lithium and it keeps the mood from dropping into Crisis mode.

Toxicity is easy as it actually a metal and should only be taken with regular blood tests to prevent Toxicity which is why it not commonly prescribed these days (UK). All drugs have a negative impact on your Kidneys and Liver, but both should be able to cope with usual dosages.

I hadn't heard that lithium makes it difficult to read and process information, but I haven't read a book since I was on it and have noticed it is harder to retain information for longer than the short term.

T

timing

I am on lithium and have been concerned about cognitive decline. Just recently I was looking at a plant on a table. For the life of me I could'nt remember the name of the plant. It was a poinsettia. This has never happened to me before. Then, shortly thereafter my daughter was talking to me about a movie. I had in mind a reply and then poof, it's gone. Then a frustrating mind search of what we were talking about. It took about a minute to retrieve the thought.

There doesn't seem to be much in regard to research on the effects on the brain. Some of them are quite contratictory. As in lithium is not as problematic to the brain as seroquel or visa versa. Different mental illnesses react differently to meds and have unique neuro reactions. All seem to have some negative impact on the brain.

Over time, I think all the different meds in combination are affecting my head. I'm 65 and there is trouble a brewing. I am tired.

K

keith74

All meds have some negative side effect. You just want to find a combination that works with the least side effects. This is far preferable than to try to deal with it without any medication. It is a hard call. My wife is 44 and it took this recent manic/depressive episode to finally finally accept that she needs to stay on her medication despite the side effects, that it is worth it to help her mood stay stable.

R

rawlinsc

I take lithium 1200 mg day and it does NOT make it difficult to read or process information for me. I tutor math for a job and I have to read and process information everyday. I have some concentration issues but thats due to ADHD and it is a mild concentration issue because I can still work and drive well enough.

H

healthybrain

My grandmother died from it and someone I knew from collage. Its definitely poison so is alcohol (I dont drink) but it makes you feel good.

JessisMe

JessisMe

i read in 'an unquiet mind' that lithium makes it difficult to read and process information. is that true? sounds awful. i heard it's easy to get lithium toxicity too on lithium, especially high doses, and its symptoms take a long time to go away. i don't want to scare anyone but this book had a long discussion on lithium.
Lithium toxicity is pretty easy to get but it’s easy to get rid of too, just lower the dosage. I have had lithium toxicity before snd my psych just titrated me downward until the symptoms vanished. Then everything was fine. The symptoms went away for me almost immediately. I hope this is helpful. xo, j

JessisMe

JessisMe

All meds have some negative side effect. You just want to find a combination that works with the least side effects. This is far preferable than to try to deal with it without any medication. It is a hard call. My wife is 44 and it took this recent manic/depressive episode to finally finally accept that she needs to stay on her medication despite the side effects, that it is worth it to help her mood stay stable.
This and the fact that most doctors know about the side effects of the medications they are prescribing and choose to prescribe them if and when the benefits of taking them exceed the cost. xo, j