I think I'm Schizophrenic, also show signs of BPD

D

damien83

First off, a bit of background, I'm 26, doing quite well for myself and was a straight A student at school, college and university. I've always had problems but recently they're starting to get out of hand. I have the following symptoms (possibly more I can't think of at the minute):
  • Hallucinations
  • Voices in my head
  • "Magical" thinking, i.e. if I do this that will happen when two events are totally unrelated
  • Inability to think straight - very disorganised thinking
  • Disorganised speech, sometimes I can't even string a sentence together
  • Imaginary friends
  • I jump straight into relationships without knowing anything about the person, they are the best thing that has ever happened to me then I suddenly switch to hating them
  • Extreme "black and white" thinking, everything is either good or bad
  • "Highs" and "Lows" normally lasting a couple of hours going from one extreme to the other without warning
  • Usually quite depressed, frequent crying
  • I have punched walls and cut myself to self-harm
  • Confusion over my sexual preferences, I'll be sleeping with women one minute then men the next (only very few people know that I have slept with men)
  • I avoid social situations, I just prefer to be one-on-one with my best friend
  • I am very paranoid

Recently things have started to really get out of hand i.e. I am hallucinating more, non-existent people are attacking me left, right and centre and I can't get them off me. I'm quite lucky that I've got a best friend that has totally stood by me and listened, I really don't know where I'd be without him, we really care about each other and he really helps me get through the difficult times.

Anyway, I went to see my GP who gave me some anti-depressants that don't work, he referred me to a mental health nurse and I've got to have an assessment. I am quite happy to admit that I have issues and would like to discuss them on here, I wouldn't mind hearing from people that suffer from these symptoms and hearing about their experiences.

A

Apotheosis

Hi Damien & :welcome: to the site

[*]"Magical" thinking, i.e. if I do this that will happen when two events are totally unrelated

- A lot of people do

[*]Inability to think straight - very disorganised thinking

Also common

[*]I jump straight into relationships without knowing anything about the person, they are the best thing that has ever happened to me then I suddenly switch to hating them

Isn't that quite the 'norm' nowadays?

[*]Extreme "black and white" thinking, everything is either good or bad

I would again think this is very common.

[*]"Highs" and "Lows" normally lasting a couple of hours going from one extreme to the other without warning

I can get this too.

[*]I avoid social situations, I just prefer to be one-on-one with my best friend

I don't think there is anything wrong in that - I am the same.

-------​

I can identify with almost everything on your list - from one time or another. This stuff has come & gone with me; sometimes it has been a nightmare; & at other times it has lessened & been easier to deal with.

I don't think things are clear cut - people are complex & everyone is different. We all respond to things; & react, in different ways. There are many ways of coping & dealing with what you describe. For many people they decide that meds are the best solution. Personally I think other methods can be as; & often more effective.

It is an idea to lay some of your cards on the table with a competent medical practitioner; & get their perspective.

It is very good that you have a friend who has stuck by you & listened. The most therapeutic help I have had, has come from people openly acknowledging my experience, & listening. Social support makes a huge difference & has a massive positive impact on MH 'conditions'.

D

Danage

• Hallucinations
  • Voices in my head
  • "Magical" thinking, i.e. if I do this that will happen when two events are totally unrelated
  • Extreme "black and white" thinking, everything is either good or bad
  • I avoid social situations, I just prefer to be one-on-one with my best friend
  • I am very paranoid
The ones I have quoted from your post are experiences I have had. I have been been known to have what the mental health people would regard as hallucinations (of sight (visual), sound (auditory), smell (olfactory) and touch (tactile) senses). I also have voices in my head every day.

I also believe that my voices predict the future in this universe (I believe in a parallel universe).

D

damien83

Well, I went for my assessment the other day, I've now been referred to an "Early Intervention Team". I had a short "psychotic episode" on Saturday and have had one this morning, I just can't seem to maintain a grip on reality right now.

A

anastasia

damien, at least you're getting some form of help and hopefully the drs will be able to give you the support to get you through this or at least treat whatever seems to be the issue.

bupanishad2012

bupanishad2012

Schizophrenia and BPD

I can empathize very well with you. I was so diagnosed for years because I was sent from doctor to doctor who perpetuated my problems. Each had a new "miracle drug" they were pushing! Turns out that I had neither disease, but did have epilepsy---bad enough in itself. Once I shed Zyprexa (bouncing off the walls) and Seroquel (actually made me schizophrenic and bi-polar as well as other problems) I came out clean as "simply" an epileptic. Beware of bad diagnoses. Many of here can tell horror stories about how "crazy" people are mistreated. All I'm saying is to be sure your diagnosis is correct and correctly handled. The shrinks made me a vegetable. My own good sense made me almost well. Don't amass doctors' opinions and their pharmceutical-company-pushing drugs. They WANT you to be sick! I'm sorry to be so blunt!