I think I suffer with binge eating disorder

S

Screamingforhelp

Okay. So I’d just like to start this off with who I am. I’m a young woman, I’m 24.

Okay, so basically, I think I am suffering with binge eating disorder. I never used to. I used to have a pretty healthy attitude towards food. This started in 2017/18. I moved into a house with my (now ex) boyfriend and I put on a lot of weight. Being quite tall, I wasn’t completely out of shape but I was overweight so I started dieting and restricting calories to lose the weight. I didn’t even realise I had put that mug on until colleagues at work mentioned it and were a little less than friendly about it and my ex boyfriend suddenly stopped being intimate so (and I know this is the wrong reason to lose weight) but to get back his attention I started to diet and restrict etc in an effort for him to find me attractive again. (He never said he wasn’t but to me lack of intimacy spoke volumes). I lost almost all the weight and then I decided to stop dieting but the issue was I still thought I was fat. My BMI would suggest I was a perfectly healthy weight. Then he moved out without warning and left me for another woman and left me to pick up the pieces. I stopped caring about my figure and ended up losing some of the weight. Fast forward 6 months and I’ve started seeing someone new and I have started eating again but the issue is I have put some of the weight back on and hate every inch of my body. I am constantly cutting calories then binge eating because I am eating too little. I am always seeking approval about my figure and weight from friends and family to no avail because they don’t know that I am suffering so badly. I am at a stage where I’ll buy lots of junk food binge badly then feel so guilty I feel sick afterward. I keep getting told I don’t look fat but all I see is fat on my body. I make myself sick. I just cannot kick the feeling that I am overweight but I restrict so much I binge and then feel bad then I try and be sensible and I eat a reasonable amount of calories for a few days then I binge then restrict then binge and I cannot stop. I feel gross.

Hope someone can help. And thank you for reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
Poopy Doll

Poopy Doll

Dear screamingforhelp. There are specialized eating disorder counselors that are very good at helping with this sort of thing, before it morphs into something worse. If you can't find a counselor, there must be books on the subject. I've had a couple decent counselors in my life but mostly have helped myself with self help books. Please try these things because you're in a cycle and need to break it.