• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

I think I need help...

B

Bloodbinds

I've had an ongoing 'problem' for years, though have convinced myself it's not a problem and now I'm thinking that maybe it is, and maybe I need help.

After doing some research I seem to have a binge and restrict problem. I will spend a week or two binge eating, every day, filling myself up with ridiculous amounts of food, and eat until I'm so full and in pain. But I do it again and again.

Then I spend another week or two starving myself, I won't have even a bite of food, until I'm sure that I have lost the weight I've put on the previous weeks binge eating. It's a vicious circle.

I eat because I love it, I'm addicted to it. All I want is food and it's all I think about. But I'm over-weight and all I think about is how much happier I would be if I were skinny. How all my life will fall into place if I just lost a little bit of weight. So I starve myself, hoping to get skinny. And then I'm miserable because I'm hungry and I binge eat to make myself happy and then I starve myself to negate previous weeks of binge eating.

How in the world do I break out of this cycle? It's been years now and I don't remember a time when I just ate 'normally'. Either I binge or I starve. How in the world do I fix this?? How do I make myself eat normally? I've tried with just my own will power but I just can't seem to stop - even as I go to eat something, in my head I'm screaming to stop, that I've had enough, that I don't need to binge... but I do it anyway.

I can't live like this anymore, I need help - where do I go?

jajingna

jajingna

Weight loss is what every overweight person wants, but it sure isn't easy. One doctor said, focus on getting healthy instead, a healthy body will move towards a healthy weight - with some exceptions. There are healthy overweight people and unhealthy thin people, obviously. And so much of our health is internal, in our organs and glands, bones and blood and so on. All of that needs to be healthy before any healthy weight is achieved or sustained. I doubt this helps much, maybe I wrote it more as a help for myself..

OCDguy

OCDguy

As I understand it, but I'm not a Doctor etc. the body when starved will take from muscle before fat. Weight in my opinion is imput - output. A healthy diet with regular exercise should then in theory regulate someone's weight, and a body develops from nutrition etc. and excercise :)

H

Helena1

Forum Safety Team
This book is good and has helped me. Overcoming Binge Eating by Christopher G. Fairburn.

P

Peaceful Silence

Perhaps not the best answer but have you tried just not buying much food at a time and doing shopping daily?
If I have chocolate I'm going to eat it all in one sitting. I can't seem to even think whether I'll eat it or not while eating it but I can chose to not buy it.
Why battle myself with it when I can remove the temptation by just not having it in the house.
If you try this you might also need to get rid of any way to get food delivery.

Full disclosure, I'm not a fan of food, I have the opposite problem so I have no idea if this actually works, it only seems logical to me. I'm just guessing that the allure of junk food is similar enough for all for me to understand you.

S

sab1978

Are you in therapy or on any medication?

C

carelessradish

I so know what you feel like and I'm sorry you're dealing with such difficult experiences relating to your body and food. Please know that you are not alone and that any shame you feel after eating what you feel is too much is not objective or true. I think self-compassion when dealing when eating issues is worth its weight in gold. Therapy may help with this if that is something you have access to. All the best and please take care of yourself x