• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

I Think I May Be Suffering From Avoidant Personality Disorder

K

Kirstylx

A friend and a teacher said to me she has realised signs of it in my behaviour, I'm not very sure what it is but I'm:
Scared of being rejected
Low confidence within myself (I hate everything about myself and cannot even look in a mirror)
I can't talk to new people because i'm scared they won't like me or ignore me
I get lonely and want a relationship
I'm very shy, always have been since I was a toddler, It's been noticed all through school since nursery til this day.

What causes it?
My dad has similar problems.
Should I tell my parents?
What should I do about it?
Is it possible at my age, 15?
Thanks

S

*Sapphire*

Hi Kirstylx

And :welcome: to the forum.

Unfortunately we are not professionals on this site and even if we were we would not be able to diagnose you just from a post, only a GP/Psychiatrist could do that.

However before you go into a panic about what your teacher says, just remember that she is unlikely to be a mental health professional and therefore I would not take what she says to heart. In fact I am surprised that she even mentioned the avoidant personality disorder diagnosis to you.
Most personality disorders diagnosis are not given until later into adulthood after a pattern of behaviour and symptoms have been established and some professionals have been involved in your care.

If your problems are limiting your life and causing you concern then I would speak to your GP about it, and see what they say.
If you think your family would be of help then yes do discuss it with them. They may be able to help you with some strategies to help overcome some of your issues.

Just because your dad has similar problems does not mean that your problem is genetic and passed down in the family, it may be that you have subconsciously learned how to deal with social situations the same way he has. This can be remedied by looking to others who have few problems in social situations and getting advice on how they handle it. Sometimes you do need to have therapy for this but only your GP can assess if you need to go down that road.

There are a multitude of websites about how to overcome shyness and anxiety through using some simple strategies that may help you. But if you feel you need further help then yes see your GP. But please do not panic, some of what you have said really could be due to some shyness, anxiety and low self esteem not neccessarily a personality disorder.

Last edited:
K

Kirstylx

Hi Kirstylx

And :welcome: to the forum.

Unfortunately we are not professionals on this site and even if we were we would not be able to diagnose you just from a post, only a GP/Psychiatrist could do that.

However before you go into a panic about what your teacher says, just remember that she is unlikely to be a mental health professional and therefore I would not take what she says to heart. In fact I am surprised that she even mentioned the avoidant personality disorder diagnosis to you.
Most personality disorders diagnosis are not given until later into adulthood after a pattern of behaviour and symptoms have been established and some professionals have been involved in your care.

If your problems are limiting your life and causing you concern then I would speak to your GP about it, and see what they say.
If you think your family would be of help then yes do discuss it with them. They may be able to help you with some strategies to help overcome some of your issues.

Just because your dad has similar problems does not mean that your problem is genetic and passed down in the family, it may be that you have subconsciously learned how to deal with social situations the same way he has. This can be remedied by looking to others who have few problems in social situations and getting advice on how they handle it. Sometimes you do need to have therapy for this but only your GP can assess if you need to go down that road.

There are a multitude of websites about how to overcome shyness and anxiety through using some simple strategies that may help you. But if you feel you need further help then yes see your GP. But please do not panic, some of what you have said really could be due to some shyness, anxiety and low self esteem not neccessarily a personality disorder.

Thanks for the reply :)
I will talk to my parents, and I'll not worry about it :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Personality Disorders Forum 2