• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

I think I have akathisia very suicidal

J

Johntron9999

I had hope and success with the effexor I was on and it no longer works. I can't sit still, I can sit down I have to keep physically moving even tho I'm exhausted, I'm getting facial twitches and head shaking spasms and I think this is from SSRIs wearing off. There's a constant mental and physical fear I think this is akathesia. Maybe beta blockers will help please do you have suggestions? I can't take is any longer. Its all day every day chronic anxiety and I can't get a break. Is akathesia part of an SSRI being in effective? Please help with solutions

K

Keesha

The main causes of this disorder are from taking antipsychotic drugs. It’s often from starting at a high dose or stopping your medicine too quickly. Speak to your doctor immediately and ask for help. He/she can change your medicine or dosage. Doctors aren’t sure why some patients get this. They figure it may have to do with the fact that the medicine may block dopamine that helps your brain cells talk to each other. Dopamine plays an important part in movement and muscle control.

How is it treated? In most cases, your doctor will change your medicine or reduce the dose. Some medications that treat this are: Beta blockers like blood pressure medicines like propranolol, anti anxiety medications like benzodiazepines recommended only for short term. Anticholinergics can be used to stop akathisia caused by antipsychotic drugs. Certain antidepressants like mirtazapine or trazadone at low dose can treat akathisia symptoms. Drugs for Parkinson’s disease amantadine since they boost dopamine level in parts of the brain that control body movements. High doses of vitamin B6 can reduce signs of akathisia. Some Anti viral drugs can be used effectively

Some holistic ways to treat this while on antipsychotics are vitamin b6 combined with ginkgo biloba, or glycine or sacrosine N acetylcysteine or estradiol.

Here’s some more information. About this condition.

I suggest you call your doctor immediately.

Catty5

Catty5

Hello
As Keesha suggested, you should contact your doc since you’re suicidal. Brain zap?

J

Johntron9999

Hello
As Keesha suggested, you should contact your doc since you’re suicidal. Brain zap?
i got back from the doctor my EKG is fine they say. im trying beta blockers with are not helping. i am experiencing adrenaline that wont shut off. my anxiety is a 10 out of 10 everyday which makes me think it is akathisia from my ssri no longer working. i cant sit still, my breathing is heavy giving me chest discomfort, shortness of breath , i cant lay down im always on the move and it wont stop. i honestly think ill be going back to the doctor and demanding ativan to get me though this until i find a medication that works. this is crazy to the point i would not wish this on anyone or my worst enemy. if someone is suffering and you see them in public please help them. i can not get into see my phych until the end of april! i cant not make it that long 5 weeks is WAY to long so i guess i need something to really calm me down in the mean time until i can get it....

Catty5

Catty5

I just responded to “farcry22”. Symptoms are like yours. Please contact that person. For me, it looks withdrawals. I was like that when I quit Lexapro. I took Xanax for a while it helped me.

J

Johntron9999

I just responded to “farcry22”. Symptoms are like yours. Please contact that person. For me, it looks withdrawals. I was like that when I quit Lexapro. I took Xanax for a while it helped me.
oh hi that is my acount as well i forgot my password so i had to make 2 accounts

Catty5

Catty5

Oh ok. Then you really need to call a doc to demand something to calm you down. You’re agitated too. To be honest, I learned there’s nothing to help me but going through my withdrawal. But when I couldn’t stand at anymore, I asked a psych Xanax first then switched it to Ativan that works a bit longer than Xanax.

G

goodgollymiss

I had akathisia and lactation on risperdone. I could bearly walk but it was painful to stay still. Nothing gave me relief. Kind of like being in an alternate reality or maybe my brain was sleeping for a bit. I felt like I had to do things to save the world and that things depended on me. I would have looped thoughts, couldn't watch tv and found it painful to interact with others because I always had to be thinking my own thoughts

J

Johntron9999

I had akathisia and lactation on risperdone. I could bearly walk but it was painful to stay still. Nothing gave me relief. Kind of like being in an alternate reality or maybe my brain was sleeping for a bit. I felt like I had to do things to save the world and that things depended on me. I would have looped thoughts, couldn't watch tv and found it painful to interact with others because I always had to be thinking my own thoughts
did you have chest pain and difficulty breathing with our akathesia? please list ur symtoms i am curious im sorry this happened to you!

Z

Zoe1

I had that during one drug trial , actually with the second trial as well
I was in hospital and had lockjaw

they changed the medication and it was a bit better
I have procyclidine for these side effects

6 months later I was still struggling
and I admitted myself to hospital
where they tried a 3rd antipsychotic
and after that I have gradually got better
I dont think it has anything to do with SSRIs

:grouphug:

J

Johntron9999

I had that during one drug trial , actually with the second trial as well
I was in hospital and had lockjaw

they changed the medication and it was a bit better
I have procyclidine for these side effects

6 months later I was still struggling
and I admitted myself to hospital
where they tried a 3rd antipsychotic
and after that I have gradually got better
I dont think it has anything to do with SSRIs

:grouphug:
SSRIs deffinitley can cause akathesia. they raise seratonin and that actually lowers dopamine. alot of cases of ssri and snri induced akathesia are out there. its not just antiphycotics like abilify

G

goodgollymiss

dizzy
Agitation
Sleep paralysis
Feeling guilty
Feeling out of place
Tactile hallucinations
Had to walk at a slower speed
Couldn't walk more than 100 ft
Usually could walk 2 miles