I think I have a speech disorder. Hard to tell.

K

k1ants89

Someone told me babble on like I speak about nothing or something like that. I don't make a lot of sense. I repeat myself and keep changing the subject in conversation. It makes me feel bad and find it hard it stay on one thing too long. If I knew what to do I would do something about it.

BillFish

BillFish

You could wait two years for an NHS speech therapist appointment, or go private and pay £60 an hour at the budget end, or £400 an hour for Harley Street. Or alternatively just learn to live with it. :p

K

k1ants89

So you think I have one? What kind?

Mayfair

Mayfair

Admin
Someone told me babble on like I speak about nothing or something like that. I don't make a lot of sense. I repeat myself and keep changing the subject in conversation. It makes me feel bad and find it hard it stay on one thing too long. If I knew what to do I would do something about it.
So you think I have one? What kind?
I doubt anyone here can diagnose you k1, but this bold here ^^, do you suffer anxiety/confidence issues? Or anything like that especially with crowds?

I think a lot of people do this, moreso these days! I find that controlling breathing a bit more when you want to speak helps a bit.

K

k1ants89

I have some problem being around crowds. I can't believe that was easy to work out. Makes me embarrassed for you to found out like that. I still can't work out if I have this. People have said I babble, I speak nonsense, or my tutor was talking and she said I suffer from word salad. Is there a cure for this? I was born in London so my first language IS English. I just need more information on that.

K

k1ants89

I don't understand why I'm people find me so hard to understand.

Mayfair

Mayfair

Admin
I have some problem being around crowds. I can't believe that was easy to work out. Makes me embarrassed for you to found out like that. I still can't work out if I have this. People have said I babble, I speak nonsense, or my tutor was talking and she said I suffer from word salad. Is there a cure for this? I was born in London so my first language IS English. I just need more information on that.
I don't think I've worked anything out k1, I'm just throwing suggestions in :)

One thing you could do is record yourself when in these situations. Most of these mobile phone things do this nowadays, and relay it later on. I know most people don't like to hear themselves, but you will gain a vast amount of knowledge with this.

If you gabber on to try and fit in, which some people do, then you'll hear it. The next thing is to look at who you were talking to, and decide whether they are worth your effort in new techniques to help with these situations.

K

k1ants89

By your comment you are saying it's unlikely. Maybe I'm too well spoken, even now. I probably have a funny way of writing and speaking and people say that's nonsense. But people still understand me. I had to think then. Since everyone clearly understands me I got no problem with it.

It's not me trying to impress anyone I just use unusual words. No problem. I'm happy to go on living my life. 😀

Mayfair

Mayfair

Admin
By your comment you are saying it's unlikely. Maybe I'm too well spoken, even now. I probably have a funny way of writing and speaking and people say that's nonsense. But people still understand me. I had to think then. Since everyone clearly understands me I got no problem with it.

It's not me trying to impress anyone I just use unusual words. No problem. I'm happy to go on living my life. ��
Yes, I think it's unlikely :)

bold: If this is the case then you probably aren't babbling, if people still invite you out and/or don't avoid you :)

Perhaps look at this person then? the one that said 'Someone told me babble on like I speak about nothing or something like that'

It's perhaps their problem?

B

BrianHorlicks

I do this,
If I get bored with a conversation,
I change it.

I still don't like hearing my own voice,
It's not me.

So,
You only think you've got a problem?
What if you haven't?
Change the way you think,
Never think in a negative way,
It's no good for you.

Don't listen to that person,
Putting you down,
Probably making themselves feel better.

You are who you are,
Don't change for any one.

T

Tonic

ACCOUNT CLOSED
If you get an opportunity, try and watch video clips of people with 'word salad' or disorganised speech. This might help you to see whether or not you think that is what it is.

'Word salad' is a symptom of Schizophrenia and is not a Speech and Language Disorder.