• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

I think depression was masking my BPD

M

Mistral

I have suffered from severe clinical depression. It was so severe that I once spent 5 weeks in hospital because of it and was on very high doses of anti-depressants. I have not taken any kind medication for over ten years and I rarely now get depressed. However, I suspect that I suffer from BPD and I probably have always suffered from it, but my depression masked it, as I tend to withdraw when I get depressed. I have done a few online BPD tests which give results ranging from "maybe", to "likely" to "you have BDP". I know these are not proper diagnoses, but I certainly have thought for a long time that I have BDP even though I have not been officially diagnosed with the condition.

Has anybody here who has been diagnosed with BDP, previously suffered from depression or still suffers from it?

D

dewey

I don't understand why people even can say you stuffer from BPD without suffering depression. The two go hand in hand - why? Because when you suffer from BPD the immediate strong reaction to emotional pain, is suicidal behaviour, which is obviously depressive behaviour. Therefore everyone who suffers from BPD must also suffer depression, at times.

Borderline implies there is strong depression, but depression does not imply borderline.

Borderline is basically the 'out of control' emotionally disorder, notice it has been re-named "emotionally unstable personality" well that's it in a nutshell. It's like having every normal human emotion to the scale of 100 and at its worse, you would switch between several very different emotions over the course of the day, from suicidality to elation back to suicidality. One thing can completely trigger a new mood. There's also a very strong element of self-harm/ suicidal impulses, a loss of sense of identity, you feel like you don't know who you are, and you can feel extremely extremely empty at times, as well as feeling strongly emotional. Borderlines struggle to have healthy relationships with others and are very mistrusting of the world, this is usually the result of sustained trauma.

M

MYTIMEHASCOME

I have suffered from severe clinical depression. It was so severe that I once spent 5 weeks in hospital because of it and was on very high doses of anti-depressants. I have not taken any kind medication for over ten years and I rarely now get depressed. However, I suspect that I suffer from BPD and I probably have always suffered from it, but my depression masked it, as I tend to withdraw when I get depressed. I have done a few online BPD tests which give results ranging from "maybe", to "likely" to "you have BDP". I know these are not proper diagnoses, but I certainly have thought for a long time that I have BDP even though I have not been officially diagnosed with the condition.

Has anybody here who has been diagnosed with BDP, previously suffered from depression or still suffers from it?
I have bpd and i suffer from bad depression caused by no sense of purpose and feeling empty and then feeling like everyone hates me when I love them and also I will go through life and I know people will leave me through sickness and ill health and also the transient nature of friendships

D

Dagoon

Im the same. I have bpd depression and anxiety. But there is nothing they will do but give you tablets and videos to watch. When you say thats not working they say well thats what the professionals want you to do. And they have discharged you now. So basically they didn't think you were bad enough to stay on so maybe your lying. Im sick of it I really am.

M

Mistral

Thanks for all the replies. It is the strong emotions that I feel nowadays that I find difficult to handle. I do not have the depression I once had, but I still struggle with getting through the day. I googled my problem and came across a video where the speaker said that 83% of people with BDP also have depression. So I am learning something about it. I really thought that BDP and was a stand-alone condition.

M

MYTIMEHASCOME

Thanks for all the replies. It is the strong emotions that I feel nowadays that I find difficult to handle. I do not have the depression I once had, but I still struggle with getting through the day. I googled my problem and came across a video where the speaker said that 83% of people with BDP also have depression. So I am learning something about it. I really thought that BDP and was a stand-alone condition.
but then you could be one of the 17% who don’t have it, I feel emotions really strong to the point where I’m good at picking up on others emotional state

HLon99

HLon99

I would not trust the internet for medical advice. I once woke up with a mouth sore and after looking on WebMD, became convinced that I have mouth cancer. It turned out to be a peice of chewing gum that I forgot to spit out before bed that stuck to my cheek.

If you have a genuine concern that you have a condition, go speak to a doctor, psychiatrist or psychologist. Do not rely on self-diagnosing.

D

dewey

I would not trust the internet for medical advice. I once woke up with a mouth sore and after looking on WebMD, became convinced that I have mouth cancer. It turned out to be a peice of chewing gum that I forgot to spit out before bed that stuck to my cheek.

If you have a genuine concern that you have a condition, go speak to a doctor, psychiatrist or psychologist. Do not rely on self-diagnosing.
Yeah, also this.

Definitely sounds like you need support Mistral, regardless.

I kind of apologise for what I wrote earlier, because I am not a medical professional. It just seemed to me a fundamental part of BPD that suicidal ideation is extremely common in BPD and seems most often to go hand in hand in with the disorder, but I am by no means qualified. Definitely seek professional advice

M

Mistral

Yeah, also this.

Definitely sounds like you need support Mistral, regardless.

I kind of apologise for what I wrote earlier, because I am not a medical professional. It just seemed to me a fundamental part of BPD that suicidal ideation is extremely common in BPD and seems most often to go hand in hand in with the disorder, but I am by no means qualified. Definitely seek professional advice
Your first post was very helpful to me. Your description of BDP being "out of control emotional disorder" struck a chord with me. Insert "depression" for emotional" into that phrase and you have a good description of clinical depression.

M

Mistral

I know that I can get support from my doctor at any time. He rings me up every year to tell me just that, but I take your point.