• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

I suspect that I am a sociopath with an inferiority complex.

C

Carpe Mundo

I go to a psychiatrist, who has diagnosed me with depression and psychosis in 2008, and who has been prescribing me with antipsychotics and antidepressants since then. Recently, he diagnosed me with OCD. But I have not been diagnosed with sociopathy or as having an inferiority complex.

For the last 5 years, I have been completely lonely, without a friend in the world, and withdrawing myself from my family, who I suspect hate me and look down on me.

Around 2017, I lost all my empathy for all those not of my race. I see all kinds of demographics falling victim to abuse and harassment by mentally-ill persons on social media, and I feel nothing. Sometimes, I think of it as funny, no matter how hurtful or malevolent it was. But when it happens to those of my race, I feel anxiety and heartbreak out-of-proportion to the stimulating factor.

I also suspect my family members of being hateful racists. I have no evidence, and I know this to be overstated, but these thoughts pop up in my head and I cannot get rid of them.

I have developed a victim complex, where I feel that only my race has suffered as intensely, and only they have the right to everything. This is a Manichean and poisonous mindset, and I want to get rid of it.

All I ask for you is not to judge me and to assess my words with the right recommendation. I just need someone to talk to.

calypso

calypso

Admin
I don't think you just suddenly develop sociopathy and I think your pdoc would have worked that one out. If you feel your family are racists aren't you one too by talking about your race? I am not being critical just trying to understand.

I think you need to look at when this started and work backwards to find out what triggered it. There is usually something that starts this sort of problem off. Not feeling for others is common with depression as all your energy goes on looking out for yourself. I wouldn't worry too much about that.

N

Nukelavee

Empathy takes energy. Depression saps energy. It's hard to maintain empathy when depressed.

And, let's be honest - it's easy with depression and anxiety to get a bit bitter; we feel resentment to others with better lives,and we get a bit of satisfaction seeing others hurt the way we feel we are.

Calypso makes some good points.

Also - the fact this worries you shows you still have empathy, you haven't embraced it.

C

Carpe Mundo

Empathy takes energy. Depression saps energy. It's hard to maintain empathy when depressed.

And, let's be honest - it's easy with depression and anxiety to get a bit bitter; we feel resentment to others with better lives,and we get a bit of satisfaction seeing others hurt the way we feel we are.

Also - the fact this worries you shows you still have empathy, you haven't embraced it.
For the last 12 years, I've been suffering from chronic depression. I didn't know that depression saps the patient of his/her empathy for others. I actually want to know more about empathy and how it works.

If I killed off the last bit of empathy in me, I would become an unfazed, cold-blooded psychopath. I guess it's the last bit of empathy that keeps me from seeing the world and other people as objects for my gratification.

C

Carpe Mundo

I think it's because I've been following some poisonous/toxic news sources that promote a kind of narrative that's completely false and based on malicious rumors.

Supremacism of any race or any religion promotes an "us versus them" mentality, and a hatred of outsiders, which feeds a victim complex. And anyone with a victim complex cannot be dealt with and should be shunned, for the personal safety of any future counter-victim.

I found supremacist material on Facebook, and I believed it whole. I was ignorant and should have known better. I made that mistake, and it's my fault.

I'm sorry that I'm being vague, but I would like to keep my personal information off the internet, and I prefer not to go any deeper. I hope you understand.

Have a nice day. :)

N

Nukelavee

Being vague is fine. You don't need to bare your soul.

It's easy for anybody to buy into a false or biased narrative, especially these days. Also -depression and anxiety have effects beyond empathy, it can actually make us, sort of, less smart. Our critical thinking ability lessens, our ability to deal with complex or subtle topics is impaired...

doing some reading on those topics is a good idea. You may discover an insight that helps you.

You have a nice day, too.

Ramson mash

Ramson mash

Taking a break
Showing empathy sometimes requires us to believe in our principles, regardless of our upbringing and the division that is often a result of war. I reckon its very difficult, we cant change history but we can believe in our selves, this makes a huge impact in breaking the walls down that are in place to divide the human race.

magiclove

magiclove

Hi there Mundo,
Try not to focus on wether or not you have whatever mental illness. It's irrelevant. What matters is how you feel and what you are going to do about it.

Friends
You are withdrawing because you have low self worth. So here's an idea for you:
Write down 10 reasons why someone should like you. It's normally difficult the first time, but if you try it once a day you'll start getting good at it. It can literally be anything from I tell it as it is too I like watching action films.

There are billions of people, all of us have different tastes. I can guarantee you that there are a shit load of people who would enjoy spending time with you and who'd really get you. If you approached them with an attitude of I am worth loving.

The important thing is to change your attitude. If I approach you with an attitude of there are so many reasons why you should like me. It doesn't matter if I am shy, clumsy or poor. Your subconscious will observe that I think you should like me, and it will start looking for reasons to like me, without me doing anything. But, should I approach you with an attitude of I'm not worth it, then your subconscious will be afraid start frantically looking for potential threats and reasons to avoid me.

Achieving that change in attitude is a challenge, because you have been led to believe that there are so many reasons why people shouldn't like you. So you need to find evidence to the contrary. Deliberately looking for reasons why should be liked, is the best way to do it. Be patient with yourself. But if you stick with it, you'll notice your attitude changing fairly swiftly.

Empathy/Race
Empathy is actually quite simple, the more distant you think someone is to you, the less you care about them. So if you think that they aren't like you, then you couldn't care less.
You'll start caring about nobody, when you think no one is like you.

If you want to develop your empathy, there is this wonderful phrase you can use:
Just like me.
Whenever you judge anyone add just like me. You will immediately start developing empathy towards them. Try it.
....They are stupid, just like me. They are beautiful, just like me. They are crazy, just like me....

A word of advice
Relationships between people have very little to do with the truth. It's all about attitude. "you're an idiot" and "you're an idiot, just like me" both convey the same truth, but with a completely different attitude.
The highly philosophical debate of wether or not you should be liked is irrelevant. (I would argue unequivocally that you should) What matters is that you approach people with an attitude of there are so many reasons to like me.

Find those reasons and have a lovely day!
Best of luck,
Magic

Scapes1986

Scapes1986

Socioapathy? Is this the same thing? You should see a regular therapist. Talk therapy broke this same feeling for me. Symptoms did slow down

Tin Woodman

Tin Woodman

I go to a psychiatrist, who has diagnosed me with depression and psychosis in 2008, and who has been prescribing me with antipsychotics and antidepressants since then. Recently, he diagnosed me with OCD. But I have not been diagnosed with sociopathy or as having an inferiority complex.

For the last 5 years, I have been completely lonely, without a friend in the world, and withdrawing myself from my family, who I suspect hate me and look down on me.

Around 2017, I lost all my empathy for all those not of my race. I see all kinds of demographics falling victim to abuse and harassment by mentally-ill persons on social media, and I feel nothing. Sometimes, I think of it as funny, no matter how hurtful or malevolent it was. But when it happens to those of my race, I feel anxiety and heartbreak out-of-proportion to the stimulating factor.

I also suspect my family members of being hateful racists. I have no evidence, and I know this to be overstated, but these thoughts pop up in my head and I cannot get rid of them.

I have developed a victim complex, where I feel that only my race has suffered as intensely, and only they have the right to everything. This is a Manichean and poisonous mindset, and I want to get rid of it.

All I ask for you is not to judge me and to assess my words with the right recommendation. I just need someone to talk to.
I can understand your strife thanks to being a psychopath myself. I struggle with interpersonal relationships and feel no emotion for other people. The issue of race should have no bearing on your decision making if you feel nothing towards others. You don't have to feel emotion towards others to be successful. Treat other people as you see them, but keep in mind that your actions have an effect towards you directly. It helps to remove emotion from the equation.