• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

I spend like I have a lot of money but truth is I don't

M

milly

I recently went from full-time to part-time and I only earn about £190 per week and then I have to pay tax and the rest so i don't get that much in hand. But I spend like I have thousands. I am in a frame of mind which tells me I have a lot. Ok, maybe i am not in dept but I like expensive things. And I will not only use my own money but i will use my parents. I will tell them I will pay them back but I know they won't ask me to repay them. I cannot stop looking online for deals and things to buy. Parents tell me don't look but I can't stop. I will buy things i don't need and already have. I will argue with my parents if they try to stop me. My 30th is coming up and no one gives a crap so I spend to make myself feel better. i feel so restless and irritable and no sense of peace of mind. I am just wondering if this is an episode of some sort. The only med i take is ability at 7.5mg. But I missed a dose or two and I feel such a headache coming on.

F

Fruitloop

Sell a kidney. Should tide you over for a month or so. What the going rate for a kidney these days :p

Surrounding yourself with material things is to make up for what your lacking inside. What are you missing Milly?
If you could have anything in the world (excluding your expensive tastes and money;)) what would it be?

M

milly

Seriously I was never this materialistic. I used to budget like anything. But now all that is gone out the window.

F

Fruitloop

What changed?
That'll be you answer. Then you can work on it and change it.

Kerome

Kerome

Buying things you don't need to make yourself feel better is not a good solution, maybe you should look into other ways to make yourself feel ok. You are obviously feeling a deep seated need, but you have chosen to compensate in a way that doesn't really work. I'd look at what kinds of things you are buying, what are they supposed to do to your life? For example lots of clothes may mean you want to look better, and you are feeling a lack of appreciation.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

There is a lot of pressure to spend and it is very easy to do. Online or on the high street - spending is easy.

It has also been linked to mental health - and I notice you posted this in the bi-polar forum.