• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

i seem to keep people at arms length

R

ROBBIE84

evening everyone

This is my first post,so if you think my problems are a bit trivial then just say so.

Been moving around the country working with alot of diffent people for the past year but i have been stuggeling to contain an injury which could end my career, i believe now i have almost conquered it but looking back over the past year i have come to realise how unfriendly and cold i must have seemed

This has caused my social skills to become rather eroded and my confidence around peolle i aspire to be has really shrunk. I would like to hear from anyone who has had a similar experience or knows what i am going through, any responses from military guys and gals out there would be very welcome

many thanks

rob

D

Dollit

I think we all put protective mechanisms in place to try to help ourselves whether injuries are physical or those that directly affect our mental health.

I actually hate the thought of appearing vulnerable or needy and have to be at absolute breaking point before I ask for help. I know an awful lot of people that are linked to the work I do (mainly with police & fire service) where boundaries are really defined but not that many people on a personal basis.

Social skills are like anything else, if we don't practice them then we lose them.

If you're travelling around a lot then it is more difficult to move out of the work friendship scenario and into something more settled. I don't have a solution to that.

And welcome to the forum by the way.