• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

i seem to keep people at arms length

R

ROBBIE84

evening everyone

This is my first post,so if you think my problems are a bit trivial then just say so.

Been moving around the country working with alot of diffent people for the past year but i have been stuggeling to contain an injury which could end my career, i believe now i have almost conquered it but looking back over the past year i have come to realise how unfriendly and cold i must have seemed

This has caused my social skills to become rather eroded and my confidence around peolle i aspire to be has really shrunk. I would like to hear from anyone who has had a similar experience or knows what i am going through, any responses from military guys and gals out there would be very welcome

many thanks

rob

D

Dollit

I think we all put protective mechanisms in place to try to help ourselves whether injuries are physical or those that directly affect our mental health.

I actually hate the thought of appearing vulnerable or needy and have to be at absolute breaking point before I ask for help. I know an awful lot of people that are linked to the work I do (mainly with police & fire service) where boundaries are really defined but not that many people on a personal basis.

Social skills are like anything else, if we don't practice them then we lose them.

If you're travelling around a lot then it is more difficult to move out of the work friendship scenario and into something more settled. I don't have a solution to that.

And welcome to the forum by the way.