• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

I recently got yelled at through text and it's bothering me a lot

Z

Zebra1

Long story short: I accidentally texted the wrong number trying to look for someone. They asked who I was, and then after I gave my name they proceeded to rudely tell me they don't know me so I should never text them. I don't understand why they yelled like that instead of just telling me the common, "you have the wrong number" line. It's pretty obvious I wasn't going to keep texting them if I had the wrong number. This made my social anxiety go through the roof. I'm terrified of ever trying to contact anyone now. I don't know how to let this go. It's eating me up.

toutatis

toutatis

I think the trick might be to just try not to think about it. Try not to dwell on it and just keep letting it go whenever the memory comes into your mind. The person was obviously being rude and would've responded like that to anyone. S/he's probably not a very nice person in real life. You'll be okay don't worry. It will eventually fade into the past.

bpd2020

bpd2020

Hello Zebra. Welcome to the forum. What a rude person that was! I am sorry that happened to you. It would have upset me too. Sadly, some people are just horrible and rude. They do not know you so this is not personal. Just know you are a better person as you are polite.

Scapes1986

Scapes1986

They sound rude, without manners, but maybe they were having a bad day, or maybe they are tired of spam calls. I get those often. Annoys me. And it was your mistake but it was an innocent one. Don’t let your stress get overwhelming because of this.

N

Nukelavee

I once had an argument with a woman who called me at midnight, to give me hell for ringing her number and not leaving a message.

No amount of telling her she had messed up the area code, and got somebody in a foreign country could convince her otherwise. Turns out the directory number for "here" is one digit off from New York state.

Anyway, she spent money on 10 minutes of long distance because she just wanted to have a fight.

My point being, people are both weird, and rude, and it says nothing about you.

P

Purpleplum

Think of it as: "wow, they really must have problems if they react like that to a text I sent by mistake. I sorta feel sorry for someone who's that angry."

See it as something wrong with them, not you.

OCDguy

OCDguy

Long story short: I accidentally texted the wrong number trying to look for someone. They asked who I was, and then after I gave my name they proceeded to rudely tell me they don't know me so I should never text them. I don't understand why they yelled like that instead of just telling me the common, "you have the wrong number" line. It's pretty obvious I wasn't going to keep texting them if I had the wrong number. This made my social anxiety go through the roof. I'm terrified of ever trying to contact anyone now. I don't know how to let this go. It's eating me up.
It's their issue, don't make it yours... I bet they wouldn't speak like that to your face either, behind the comfort of a virtual keyboard it's all too easy... Try to leave it go, and turn your thoughts to more positive things, like what are you going to have nice to eat later for example :)

Scapes1986

Scapes1986

Maybe they thought it was someone else. There has to be an explanation. Either way I wouldn’t look too deep into it.

Z

Zebra1

Thank you everyone for your replies. I felt a lot better after reading them. Also as an update I feel much better now about the situation. I realize some people are just plain rude and when there is nothing to do about it I just have to learn to let it go.

I

irwin

There are a lot of *ssholes in the world. That's a fact of life. But I can understand how it can make your SA go through the roof.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V Social Anxiety Forum 10