• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

I received a letter with the overview of my medication review. A few things upset me.

P

Pffft

So Ive been having psychotherapy provided by the nhs for over 2 years now and it finished a few months ago. I know I had a lot of time considering it was provided by the NHS but I didn't process much of my trauma.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago and I had a medication review. I received a letter with the overview of the appointment and it highlighted something she said in the appointment. She said "I have suggested that she is now at a stage where she should move on from her therapy..."

Oh yes because I suddenly should be ok now you have said that. I was surprised when she said it in the appointment and to see that she has wrote it down has left me feeling upset and ashamed. My Dr will read this and that makes me feel ashamed.

The thought of this statement plays into the thoughts I have about myself. Maybe it's my fault I'm like this. Maybe I deserve the emotional flashbacks, the trust issues, the attachment issues, the anxiety, the self harm urges, the suicidal thoughts. Maybe I will never be fixed and I only have myself to blame.

C

Comorbidity

NHS mental health services do that kind of thing all the time, they're a disaster, they try to help you, can't, don't know what to do with you, then have a meeting or review which they have already decided what they are going to write as being the outcome will be beforehand, however irrelevant to what has actually been going on with you.

The hard truth, a truth they never accept and a great many of us here don't either, but they don't still don't accept even when we have is a follows:

Some traumas break things irrevocably, some things can't be fixed, we will never be able to do some of the things we used to or would like to again, we may never be able to play what neurotypical people would consider as a normal part in their society or even ever function in it again except for in very small doses in very safe environments away from all triggers

I think both psychiatric services and doctors let themselves and patients in this position very badly indeed, mental health and your physical health are the same in that way, some things can happen that there is no recovering from and in such situations, psychiatrists and doctors need to focus more on environment rather than meds and just try to help that patient live as comfortable life away from society as possible

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

I wouldn't feel ashamed, I'd feel angry and indignant! It's like, how dare this person tell ME how I feel! There is no prescribed timeline and there is no "should" when it comes to mental health!

C

celticlass

Surely the letter was just stating that professional is now disengaging? You will.have a view on this and may decide to give a written response (as this will then sit on your file). I think you should highlight the areas of your life where you feel you will struggle and if you believe this will put you at risk you should explain.

As against this 2 years of therapy is quite a long.time. It can be quite nice to have someone we perceive is there just for us but care needs to be taken not to create dependency. I wonder,.if you feel you still need some assistance, you could consider going to counselling on a privately paid basis? Alternatively there may be a possibility your GP could refer you on to another appropriate mental health service. In my area Support in Mind run a day support service where users can do in and out when the centre is open. I wish you luck on your journey.