• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

I Really Need Some Advice (Homelessness)

C

CharlieBrown2030

I have been at a friend's house since October 11th. My first post ever on this site was about feeling in danger at the place I stayed at after a fight that happened. I already was homeless because we were staying at an AirBnb which is not at all for permanent housing. We ended up there because of my mother's improper money management and my mother's pride. We had opportunities to leave. My mother was aware of my diagnosed mental disabilities. With that, I was also emotionally abused..and I also had to update things less specifically. I am an SSI recipient and by the time I received it, I was starting a job during the beginning of summer. I did report to them..and then they reported that their computers didn't work. Then..after many times..someone told me I had to come to the office during Covid19. By the time things were getting worse, I left because it was detrimental to my mental health progress. Luckily, I have a friend who was willing to let me stay as I figured it out. Then a week ago, I realized that some of my important documents were missing. Which I now can't work at my new job without them. I received little assistance. I am in New York and in the Long Island region. The only source I got a referral to was DSS. They did not help me with housing and I learned that the place has a reputation for putting clients down and not helping a lot of people to even give referrals. I tried DHS..but they gave me only shelters in New York counties which are far from where I am..and is not guaranteed. I cannot find a single place where I am at that is willing to help. I cannot even get help from Social Security because at this point, I can't have a helper or case manager to let me explain or update. Really I just needed a chance to explain the further complicated situation. They don't ever count this as an emergency but soon when I mention how this is affecting my mental state, they take me to Crisis hotlines and those are the only ones willing to listen..but hardly can help with this. It is to the point that I feel that effort doesn't matter and even if you are trying everything in your power to stay strong..they don't want to make life a little easier. I am 21 with no family and very little friends. I have records to show people in those fields and they won't even let me finish. I really just need housing that can ease me to independence better. I couldn't call Domestic Violence at the time I left because no one considers what I went through as equal to that. Plus, this is my first time cutting off my family so it is unpredictable what they were going to do next. I could never give them an answer when I could say that I was in hiding. I just need someone or anyone here to please tell me what I can do to move forward because so far..NOTHING IS WORKING NO MATTER HOW HARD I TRY!

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
I really feel for you, and wish i knew more about the system in your country. I'm in the UK and it is much easier to find help when homeless.

Can you think of anywhere else you could go to speak to?

I am sure other members will be along to help you soon and i will also see what i can find out.

JessisMe

JessisMe

It sounds like you are doing all the right things.
Unfortunately there are not a lot of options out there for folks who are homeless and when folks are in a vulnerable position like this life gets much, much harder as help does not come quickly or easily. The only additional thing I would recommend is to possibly reach out to the Salvation Army to see what they might be able to do to help you. I think they provide a few shelters, rent vouchers for young adults and case management. Anyway it might be worth checking them out and giving them a try. I’m sorry I could not be more helpful. I have been homeless before and there is very little help out there for folks in this position. I am very glad that at least for now you have a safe place to stay. xo, j

C

CharlieBrown2030

It sounds like you are doing all the right things.
Unfortunately there are not a lot of options out there for folks who are homeless and when folks are in a vulnerable position like this life gets much, much harder as help does not come quickly or easily. The only additional thing I would recommend is to possibly reach out to the Salvation Army to see what they might be able to do to help you. I think they provide a few shelters, rent vouchers for young adults and case management. Anyway it might be worth checking them out and giving them a try. I’m sorry I could not be more helpful. I have been homeless before and there is very little help out there for folks in this position. I am very glad that at least for now you have a safe place to stay. xo, j

Thank you. It is just very compartmentalized here. I did say I was leaving today so I have no choice but to leave. The only choice right now is leaving to go a shelter in the city. There is no way for me to truly call. I hope I find a way to call that shelter. I am struggling to feel that if I get there..if I will even have any assistance. I have a feeling I am going to end up lost with no help and if I cry..I will be stepped over.

C

CharlieBrown2030

I really feel for you, and wish i knew more about the system in your country. I'm in the UK and it is much easier to find help when homeless.

Can you think of anywhere else you could go to speak to?

I am sure other members will be along to help you soon and i will also see what i can find out.
Yeah..it seems like a lot of people are from the U.K. I really just hate everything..

A

always thirsty

usually the church will help you.