• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

I politely turned down the Crises Team

M

Meredithmay

When they were initially set up they were enthusiastic and seemed to care and also a way of having support without going into hospital. I was referred to them over the weekend 2 years ago without me knowing and their brief input pushed me over the edge. Their advice seemed to consist of : baths, bananas, walking, patronisation, fobbing off, and at the end I wondered whose bloody crises it was. And this was over the phone only. She also asked me if I had been drinking and I asked her what her problem was given I was safely in bed. I asked them not to call me again. One day later I was sectioned. Verrrrrrrrrry helpful. So, as you can imagine I would not have them anywhere near me again. Their role is "gatekeeping" and this compromises their ability to be helpful because as we know there are very few beds, and even if there was I do not want one.

I have been trying to go low key cancelling this and that in my bid to keep under the rador and manage alone which will then give me my self respect back. Sadly it has not been going too well and I wasn't allowed to pick up my meds yesterday because I had to be seen. I felt trapped. My daughter has been worried and pleaded with me to contact my CC. I reluctantly did and am seeing her on Monday which was when I was offered the C Team. She also brought me a prescription of a few days only because I could not face the GPs. It feels a little like playing hide & seek with this annoying and unwelcome condition. Why do I always think I am cured? So, will have to put the self respect on hold for the next time sadly.

I live on my own which is okay most of the time and I am able to hide away quite well.
I look forward to the chats about drinking alcohol, non-compliance etc. All I have to do is follow simple advice and all will be well - but, the rebel in me throws caution to the wind although I have been looking into complimentary medicine.

Does anyone understand this merry go round?

x Mmay

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I took my od cause a member from crisis annoyed and upset me so much so I can sympathise, I'm not keen on crisis but they serve a purpose and now i think realize I'm not just a pisshead i am poorly.
I am lucky I think I got a good cc though and she will continue to work with me so I think thats more important than crisis, I find them very impersonal too as you just get anyone.

M

Meredithmay

Thank you for your reply. Sorry to hear you had a negative experience also. There are some very killed people within the teams but with all the desperateness surrounding mental health and funding they are not able to put their skills to productive use.

Its good you have a good CC who you find helpful. It does make such a difference. I have a good one also but at times I just want to break away and manage on my own. I often feel so guilty for taking up so much of their time and these feelings increase when I am low because I feel unworthy of help.

I have put the alcohol away for now and have made some much needed healthy soup. It tastes much better than alcohol but without the kick - although I did put a little chilli in it.

x Mmay

S

secretsurvivor1

when I ring the crisis team which is rarely the answerphone assures me it is a 24hr 7 day a week service and please leave a message. I do that and leave my name and number. After an hour, I ring back and have another chat with the answerphone, when I say don't bother ringing me back I give up, I am off to bed. Seems there are no humans there.

M

Meredithmay

Oh dear, I should have read it through, I was looking for "skilled people" not killed people I think it was a slip of the key or a Freudian slip.

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I have put the alcohol away for now and have made some much needed healthy soup. It tastes much better than alcohol but without the kick - although I did put a little chilli in it.
Sounds like a plan :) alcohol turns me into a monster.

I do hope you dont rush to leave their support if you do need it. I feel weird as I was a support worker now in receipt of the support.

M

Meredithmay

Hi ss, That is not good news when they do not even respond when you try to contact them. It really is not working as a Crisis Service at all. You may be right that there are no actual humans around.

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Per Ardua Ad Astra

In my experience, the crisis teams, much like the CMHT, are about as useful as a square wheel. I give them the bum's rush nowadays :)

Kerome

Kerome

Really they're only useful in very extreme cases... When I was mid episode I saw them, thought they were very dodgy, turned down their offer of medication after which they said "sorry we can't help". And it may be a 24 hr service but my folks arranged that appointment a day or two in advance. I thought it was all a bit poor.

Perhaps self management is something to explore, and learning how to do that via peer support.

M

Meredithmay

Hi Nikita, That was a very long wait indeed although talking over the phone to someone who listens can prove useful. They are stretched so very much but unfortunately there are mental health workers who should not be in the profession. I am sorry to hear how damaging that particular nurse was. Its hard to fight when feeling so vulnerable and fragile. I came across a Psychiatrist who was absolutely awful and each time I saw him I came out feeling much worse. I eventually sent a letter as well as making a phone call to him telling him how he had significantly affected my mental health in a negative way. I was reallocated to another one who is helpful.

I have a good CC and it does make all the difference. I hope your new CC is good.

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Really they're only useful in very extreme cases... When I was mid episode I saw them, thought they were very dodgy, turned down their offer of medication after which they said "sorry we can't help". And it may be a 24 hr service but my folks arranged that appointment a day or two in advance. I thought it was all a bit poor.

Perhaps self management is something to explore, and learning how to do that via peer support.
Self-management and peer support are definitely the way to go, in my experience.

We're on our own effectively. That's the bottom line. The number of times I've been let down by the services, and the number of times they've ducked and dived rather than take responsibility, is staggering.

In my opinion, the MH staff need us far more than we need them. The services, as I've said before, are largely a chimera. A non-service dressed up as a service, that makes all the right noises, but does and achieves very little, and often works in reverse.

When the services are curtailed or even axed - as an increasing number are given the Austerity measures - it's the staff who feel it the most cos they lose their livelihoods. The gravy train's stopped - time to get off :)