• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

I never want to move out from my family home :{

J

Jisatsu

I am only 16 but already I'm so so scared about having to leave my parents. I never used to get on with them well (my mum and step dad) When I was about 12-14 and I was self harming every day I was always fighting with them and actually wanted to leave. Now I get on with them so much better because I realised there's no point in arguing and they're only looking out for me and they're so kind and generous.

I don't deserve the treatment they give me. I feel so guilty when they do things for me. I have done nothing to deserve all this :{
I love them so much and I've not got the courage to say that to them (I've not said "I love you" to my parents in about 5 years now), the phrase itself makes me feel weak.

I love where I live and how I get on with them now and I never want to leave :(:(

rollinat

rollinat

Founding Member
There's an old joke along the lines of "When I was a teenager, my parents knew nothing. When I was an adult, I was amazed at how much they had learnt in a few years". It is great to hear that you enjoy living at home now and that you love them - even if you don't say it, I am sure they will know by the way you act. Who knows what the future will hold for you, but it is good to have the security of a base which you can return to. I suppose I effectively left home at 18 but lived at home on and off till almost my mid-20s, so it was a gradual leave-taking and I knew when it was right to leave completely. Part of being a parent is bringing up our children to eventually lead their own lives, but I'm sure your parents would love to know that you don't want to do that any time soon.

Take care (y)

Y

YellowBrickRoad

Aww. It's good that you have a better relationship with your mum and step father. At the age of 16 I moved out found out I was pregnant and at 17 I had a baby and lived in my own home with my daughter and my partner. It worked out well for me but sometimes I still miss living with my mum not having bills to worry about and running a home. My relationship with my mum can be strong but often it can get quite rocky and difficult and I don't get along with my dad much at all. If you want to, stay at home with your mum and step dad for as long as you want. At the age of 16 you still have years to enjoy living with your mum. Eventually you will meet someone and get a job etc and want to settle down in your own home, but just because you are 16 doesn't mean your on a ticking clock to move out. :hug:

T

TimThompson

Jisatsu
I would echo the other posters in saying that its really good that you are close to your parents. Some parents are just bad and some children don't ever grow relate to them as humans.

Don't worry too much about needing to move out. It is a difficult thing to do these days, and there is a lot to be said for staying in an area.
If you learn to drive then in even the most rural areas you can work or go on to study while living at home, and so long as you pull your wieght when you are able, your parents might even be glad of it.
There is no rule that you need to move out, and in my mid 20s, I am frankly supprised that most of my friends and co-workers of a similar age haven't.
Can, but doesn't have to, get in the way of relationships. Thats the major downside.