• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

I need to

Lincoln1990

Lincoln1990

It's Thanksgiving and I need to self harm. Badly. I can't handle this

I wish I could die but I cant. So next best thing is to self harm.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

It's Thanksgiving and I need to self harm. Badly. I can't handle this

I wish I could die but I cant. So next best thing is to self harm.
I wish you well Lincoln. Things are going well for you, so pleased you landed a good job.

Q

Quickduck

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Please try not to Linc, the urge will subside given time. I know it’s your way of coping when you’re upset; a way of regaining control over your emotions when you feel overwhelmed; but there are better ways of dealing with those emotions. You deserve to feel better, and you will find a way without hurting yourself. You're doing so well at the moment, focus on that. Please be safe. :hug:

S

secretsurvivor1

Here are some tips for when you feel dangerously out of control; hope something here helps;

(1) plunge hands in icy cold water as long as you can bear it, repeat until you feel more in your body.
(2) elastic band on wrist, pull back as far as you can and let it snap onto the inside of your wrist, count to 10 with your whole attention on the sensation. Repeat until in your body.
(3) Try a difficult mind exercise that needs concentrating, like counting back from 100 in 3s. Or speaking a foreign language, reciting a poem, naming items one for each letter of the alphabet. STart again until you are back.
(4) Put a sweet, or raisin in your mouth. Hold it there, do not chew, notice everything about it, texture taste, consume it as slowly as possible with your whole attention.
(5) listen to, look at or watch something with you full attention, as if you are going to have to draw it or describe it afterwards. eg how a teabag slowly brews, how blinds move in the breeze, listen to all the noise around.
(6) rip up newspaper as thick as you can manage, over and over
(7) Pay full and perfect attention to a task, doing it very very slowly and carefully,
eg washing up, brushing teeth or hair. listen with your entire attention to 1 song playing on repeat;
learn every word, every instrumental, know it fully.

These ideas should bring you back to earth and calm you harmlessly.
If these don't work;
ask for help
ask for help
and ask for help again.

L

lovagemuffin

theres so much pressure to be happy on this day and its stressful put on a dvd lay down a just relax its just like any other day a comedy if you have Netflix put stepbrothers on. its going to be ok.

tabbykitten

tabbykitten

Oh Linc! Second person I am sending hugs to. Just posted to Messy as well. Lots of us feeling low at the moment I think

M

Mastiff mom

Lincoln, do the best you can to get through this tough time. I think there are some good coping skills on this thread but we will continue to care about you whatever you do. Big hugs.

W

White Dragon

Massive hugs. I know it's hard. I've been struggling with urges myself. But it is possible to come out of the other end without doing anything. I find that the strength of the urges change. I sometimes forget I have them completely when I'm playing a game or some form of distraction. Just hang in there. It will pass. :hug5:

Lincoln1990

Lincoln1990

I'm just being pouty. I don't understand why this is the way I am right now. I have a good job. I have my brother home from university. I have my puppies alive and well. I'm healthy. I have a car. I have a place to lay my head down at night. I make good pay and soon will be able to move out again. My bills are almost paid up. I'm saving money again. I have everyone on here.

I just don't understand. Why? Why am I like this? I was doing so well. I'm so confused.

Mister.B

Mister.B

I think it might be just your body/mind freaking out because the stressful times are over and everything is nice now and it's not used to it.
If that makes any sense?

Lincoln1990

Lincoln1990

I think it might be just your body/mind freaking out because the stressful times are over and everything is nice now and it's not used to it.
If that makes any sense?
It makes sense. I know it's a lot. I'm not stressed really. I like my job.