I need to quit my job via email... help please

T

tiacxx

Hi..

I've decided that I can no longer return to work and I really need to quit due to it making my anxiety 10x worse and making me ill. I'm currently on sick leave until 20th February however I would just like to quit now and find another job. The problem is I can not step foot back in there, even the thought of it makes my stomach turn. I know that the most respectful/decent thing to do is to go in and speak to them and provide them with a written copy but I just can't I feel like crying just thinking about it as I'm so embarrassed and ashamed.

I'm going to have to email my boss explaining my situation and that I will not be returning to work, I just don't know where to start when it comes to writing it.

Please can anybody help me put something together or what to write?

burt tomato

burt tomato

Forum Guide
It's fine. quit by email. Send it to your boss, and copy in HR.

If you want to be professional, write in a word document and attach it to the email.

Dear sir:

Please see letter as attached,

regards,
tiacxx

Hopefuloldie

Hopefuloldie

Hi..

I've decided that I can no longer return to work and I really need to quit due to it making my anxiety 10x worse and making me ill. I'm currently on sick leave until 20th February however I would just like to quit now and find another job. The problem is I can not step foot back in there, even the thought of it makes my stomach turn. I know that the most respectful/decent thing to do is to go in and speak to them and provide them with a written copy but I just can't I feel like crying just thinking about it as I'm so embarrassed and ashamed.

I'm going to have to email my boss explaining my situation and that I will not be returning to work, I just don't know where to start when it comes to writing it.

Please can anybody help me put something together or what to write?
Dear xxx

As you know, I have been signed off work due to my (anxiety? Depression?) until the 20th February. Having had time to reflect on my situation, I feel that it would be best for me to resign with immediate effect rather than attempt to return to work.

I am very sorry for any inconvenience that this may cause you, but I wished to give you as much notice of my intention not to return as soon as possible.

I appreciate the time that I have spent working with you, and I hope that you will be happy to provide a basic reference for me when I am ready to seek alternative employment.

I would be grateful if you could send my final payslip and P45 to my home address (along with any other personal belongings at the office?).

Yours sincerely

I don't think you need any additional information beyond this. Pay-wise, remember that you may be owed any outstanding annual leave.

Wishing you the best of luck xx