I need to eat but my anxiety is too high

S

Sarahlou31

Hi all, I’m going through a really tough time at the moment with a separation from husband. I am crippled with anxiety and feel so sad although I don’t regret my decision to leave him. I’m just concerned that my anxiety is so bad I haven’t been eating anything for nearly a week now, apart from tiny portions, and when I say tiny I mean I have one to two bites and I then feel sick. Not eating is making me feel even more unwell but I just can’t face food right now. Does anyone have any tips as I’ve already lost quite a bit of weight? What do others eat when they are feeling this way? Please help. X

T

TheRedStar

While the same thing happens to me when I'm stressed and anxious, I can't really give much advice because I've found that the best way for me to deal with the problem is to just go with it... even if I know I'm underfed, nevertheless I feel bloated and sick if I eat more than my body is willing to accept. That said, I have more luck with liquid sustenance - milkshakes, soups - than anything solid. Either way though, I don't really believe in force feeding... if your anxiety is anything like mine, you'd end up being unable to digest it properly anyway.

What I find is that my appetite returns as I slowly calm down, and when it does I'm more hungry than usual for a few days as my body regains the lost weight.

I don't worry too much about starting to lack energy, as I find that the cortisol which accompanies the anxiety keeps me awake and alert when I need to be (and sometimes when I'd rather be resting, to be honest).

However, I don't think I've ever gone as long as you without my appetite at least starting to pick up again... as such, I'm inclined to advise that you see a GP, especially if what you've described is becoming a source of anxiety in itself. Perhaps some form of sedative will help calm you down, and consequently restore your appetite (please note that I'm not a doctor, and so I'm speculating there)?

S

Sarahlou31

Thank you for your advice, I was thinking about just having milkshakes as an easy way to take in some calories and fill me up a bit and I think a trip to my GP might be a good idea as well, thank you x

frogsplash

frogsplash

i would see your GP that's a good idea yes,
your anxiety needs to be addressed.
you can play the waiting game and see if it goes away on its own, but there's no way of knowing how long that will take, and all the while your body and mind is suffering, which of course is not good at all.