• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

I need some advice please

D

Dispatch

so, here’s what happened yesterday ... my son 28 has been prescribed adderall and dextroamphetomine when he was in college to help him focus ... everything seemed to be going along fine, he still continued taking these after college and it helped him at his job. But, he had built up a tolerance and so had been taking more than he should have per day.
So, yesterday was reckoning day... he hadn’t slept well for 3 days, had thoughts that people were conspiring against him at work, thought people were following him ... anyways, my son called me crying from his boss’s office that I need to come get him and that he is needing help. So, I picked him up, he was crying again, then suddenly, as soon as we left the parking lot, he stopped and told it was part of his plan to throw his conspirators off, then next thing I know he starts sobbing again ... and telling me to watch what I say because we may be bugged ...
Anyways, I felt absolutely helpless ... all I could do was comfort him and try to keep him calm.
So, my question ... how do I proceed here ? ... his doctors office isn’t open on the weekend, he doesn’t want to take any adderall or dextro again , but what happens if his cold turkey isn’t a good idea ... how much, if any, should I give him if he starts having withdrawals ... and ... this is my major concern, do you think he has always been bipolar or did the prescriptions push him into it

S

sadgirl

I'm sorry that your son is going through this but we can not diagnose on here he needs to see his doctor is there anywhere else you can take him over the weekend to get help at least until his doctor

D

Dispatch

Well right now he’s sleeping ... he got up, showered this morning ... said he felt great ... took a bike ride ... then is taking a nap.
His emotions are so close to the surface ... so, I don’t know where I can take him if things start getting out of hand again ... I guess the hospital emergency ... is that a good idea ?

N

Nukelavee

I guess the hospital emergency ... is that a good idea ?
Probably teh best idea at this point.

I think he should stick to his prescribed dose, until a doctor can see him. going cold turkey is rarely a good idea, it can cause a lot of issues.

Taking too large a dose can also cause serious issues, especially if the drug is a stimulant.

JessisMe

JessisMe

I would keep him on his meds, encourage him to rest and keep a close eye on him
until you can get him in to see his doctor. The ER would be a good fall back. It sounds like he had a psychotic break...has he been under unusual stress lately, using recreational drugs or both?

D

Dispatch

thanks and I agree ... I’m just so new to this ( I think it’s bipolar ) ... I mean his mood swing was so abrupt ... one minute he’s all pumped up ... the next thing he’s crying again ... it’s jarring ... the only thing I have is to try to just stay calm ... so if we can make it thru the weekend then get him an appointment on Monday I think he’ll be alright

D

Dispatch

I would keep him on his meds, encourage him to rest and keep a close eye on him
until you can get him in to see his doctor. The ER would be a good fall back. It sounds like he had a psychotic break...has he been under unusual stress lately, using recreational drugs or both?
... yes he does smoke pot daily also ... or he did should I say

JessisMe

JessisMe

... yes he does smoke pot daily also ... or he did should I say
He should not be using any recreational drugs given his tendency towards mental illness. Psychosis and schizophrenia can be very compromising and difficult to manage. It’s possible that it was a bipolar manic episode with psychotic features however that would be for the doctor to decide...

D

Dispatch

crap ... I think he’s going into another episode ... he wanted to quit cold turkey the dextro and adderall but looks like that’s not going to happen ... should he take his normal dose until I can get him to the doctor on Monday or ... what do you think ?

D

Dispatch

He should not be using any recreational drugs given his tendency towards mental illness. Psychosis and schizophrenia can be very compromising and difficult to manage. It’s possible that it was a bipolar manic episode with psychotic features however that would be for the doctor to decide...
right ... yes, he told us he had smoked and I was afraid of this ... he’s starting to get real emotional again and reliving yesterday ...

JessisMe

JessisMe

right ... yes, he told us he had smoked and I was afraid of this ... he’s starting to get real emotional again and reliving yesterday ...
I have two friends who both developed schizophrenia from smoking marijuana.
It always worries me the effects these drugs can have...

JessisMe

JessisMe

crap ... I think he’s going into another episode ... he wanted to quit cold turkey the dextro and adderall but looks like that’s not going to happen ... should he take his normal dose until I can get him to the doctor on Monday or ... what do you think ?
keep everything as doctor prescribed until he is able to meet with doctor or a doctor in the ER.

D

Dispatch

Ok thanks ... oh my this shakes me up ... sorry , but thank you !

D

Dispatch

Good grief ... now get this ... first it’s my son spinning out of work last Friday in some adderall fueled manic paranoid episode ... now, my wife just got wrongfully fired from her HR job that she’s had for the last 15 years by the new director of HR ... all on the backdrop of Covid 19
... I mean it’s no wonder I’m on this site for crying out loud 😭