• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

i need relief! taking a sleep pill for anxiety!

J

Johntron9999

why is my anxiety attacks and panic constant?? im on my 4th SSRI with no luck. they did however work in the past. i WISH i had panic attacks because they last only 10-30 minutes than you feel releif but my anxiety is constant. its a 24/7 panic attack! i think ssri's are not the class of drug for me and others what do you think? the older antidepressants are more effective but have some more side effects. i may need to try one of those or even a small dose of lithium ( that can help alot of people even tho they are not bi polar!) im literally taking SLEEPING pills to calm myself down some days because thats all i have and they seem to have an anti anxiety effect.

S

sadgirl

Maybe go back to the drs and explain the situation sometimes it can take a while to work out a medication that is right for you

Catty5

Catty5

I’m so sorry to hear you’re suffering so much anxiety in addition to suffering from panic attacks. I used to have lots of panic attacks but no more now. Hope your doc can find something to work for you. Meds are so problematic.

I’ve been depressed for 2 years this time. I’m on SSRI. But I also inherited “anxiety genes”. My anxiety was horrible for a quite long time. I took GABA 2 per day and chewing ginger roots that calmed me down quite well. And I also took Hydroxyzine Pam 25mg that is a prescribed antihistamine for anxiety. So I didn’t need to take benzodiazepine so much. I used to take Buspirone but I didn’t want to take it this time. Buspirone works for GAD well.

J

Johntron9999

I’m so sorry to hear you’re suffering so much anxiety in addition to suffering from panic attacks. I used to have lots of panic attacks but no more now. Hope your doc can find something to work for you. Meds are so problematic.

I’ve been depressed for 2 years this time. I’m on SSRI. But I also inherited “anxiety genes”. My anxiety was horrible for a quite long time. I took GABA 2 per day and chewing ginger roots that calmed me down quite well. And I also took Hydroxyzine Pam 25mg that is a prescribed antihistamine for anxiety. So I didn’t need to take benzodiazepine so much. I used to take Buspirone but I didn’t want to take it this time. Buspirone works for GAD well.
TY! i too have inherited anxiety genes from my moms side. did GABA actually help? and where do you buy ginger root from? i will need to take something that is anti anxiety i may want to try buspirone. why didnt you take the buspirone this time?

Catty5

Catty5

TY! i too have inherited anxiety genes from my moms side. did GABA actually help? and where do you buy ginger root from? i will need to take something that is anti anxiety i may want to try buspirone. why didnt you take the buspirone this time?
Hi

Yeah we both got genes unfortunately. My mom’s side has OCD, GAD, and depression.
I used to have lots of panic attacks.

I’m in California, so I can get ginger root anywhere. I usually get it at Chinese supermarket. I don’t know your area but usually any Asian market has a fresh one.
I grated it and made “ginger tea” with honey or chewed it a little bit. It calmed me down. It also soothed my stomach.

I got GABA through Anazon. It worked for me. At least it’s better than benzodiazepine. I don’t want to be an addict (i’m a mental health care professional and I used to work at a drug rehab....but i’m off work due to depression right now😰).

Buspirone works in a long run. It’s not addictive. But it doesn’t work immediately. This time, I needed something to work quickly. So I asked a doc to give me Hydroxyzine Pam that helped me a lot.

J

Johntron9999

Hi

Yeah we both got genes unfortunately. My mom’s side has OCD, GAD, and depression.
I used to have lots of panic attacks.

I’m in California, so I can get ginger root anywhere. I usually get it at Chinese supermarket. I don’t know your area but usually any Asian market has a fresh one.
I grated it and made “ginger tea” with honey or chewed it a little bit. It calmed me down. It also soothed my stomach.

I got GABA through Anazon. It worked for me. At least it’s better than benzodiazepine. I don’t want to be an addict (i’m a mental health care professional and I used to work at a drug rehab....but i’m off work due to depression right now😰).

Buspirone works in a long run. It’s not addictive. But it doesn’t work immediately. This time, I needed something to work quickly. So I asked a doc to give me Hydroxyzine Pam that helped me a lot.
im in the same boat ive had prescriptions of ativan and colopin before but i dont want to get hooked and addicted it can creep up on you and thats a whole nother problem. what goes up must come down so i avoid anything addictive. i will have to try gaba. thanks for info. and i plan to try buspirone but im really unfamiliar with it. my anxiety and depression have been very bad i dont know why my doctor hasent recommended buspirone? they seem to only throw ssri's at me which dont work anymore. does buspirone actually stop the looping depressing panic thoughts and treat anxiety mentally? i cant bring myself to go for a simple job interview so that might be a good op-tion for me

Catty5

Catty5

I took Lexapro 10mg and Buspirone 5mg for 20years till I had to come off due to my health concern. Even if I didn’t like Lexapro, that combination worked. I had a relatively stable life. I wasn’t anxious.

GABA + Ginger root combination really helped me this time. I was on Ativan 2.5mg for a while but I didn’t want to keep taking it since it worsened dissociation that I have with depression.

You should talk about Buspirone with your doc. It seems working for general anxiety.

I’m on Fluixetine 40mg (16weeks), Mirtazapine 15mg only for sleep ( I don’t need it anymore since I can sleep). And I take Hydroxyzine Pam 25mg as needed but I don’t need it so much anymore now. either.

J

Johntron9999

I took Lexapro 10mg and Buspirone 5mg for 20years till I had to come off due to my health concern. Even if I didn’t like Lexapro, that combination worked. I had a relatively stable life. I wasn’t anxious.

GABA + Ginger root combination really helped me this time. I was on Ativan 2.5mg for a while but I didn’t want to keep taking it since it worsened dissociation that I have with depression.

You should talk about Buspirone with your doc. It seems working for general anxiety.

I’m on Fluixetine 40mg (16weeks), Mirtazapine 15mg only for sleep ( I don’t need it anymore since I can sleep). And I take Hydroxyzine Pam 25mg as needed but I don’t need it so much anymore now. either.
i will talk to my doctor about it ty! im glad you are feeling better! i have a doc app this tuesday i can barley hold on my anxiety is thru the roof i have run out of sleep pills and ativan so i cant take the edge off! im having difficulty just writing this! i tried running but thats way to hard when ur already having shortness of breath from anxiety. yoga and breathing arnt helping. i literally have to splash cold water on my face to distract myself its brutal

Catty5

Catty5

i will talk to my doctor about it ty! im glad you are feeling better! i have a doc app this tuesday i can barley hold on my anxiety is thru the roof i have run out of sleep pills and ativan so i cant take the edge off! im having difficulty just writing this! i tried running but thats way to hard when ur already having shortness of breath from anxiety. yoga and breathing arnt helping. i literally have to splash cold water on my face to distract myself its brutal
When we’re edgy.... nothing works. I took a warm bath that helped me a bit
Are you still on antidepressant?

D

Dispatch

How about magnesium do you have any by chance ? I swear by magnesium glycinate ... it seems to calm me down and reduce my racing thoughts ... but that could be just me idk

J

Johntron9999

When we’re edgy.... nothing works. I took a warm bath that helped me a bit
Are you still on antidepressant?
yes im still taking my antidepressant. i think something is preventing it from working because it use to work now it doesnt.i think the gaba system in me is off the rails and haywire. for whatever reason. maybe something to do with to high glutamate levels. i have been taking a multivitamin with magnesium and ahost of other nutrients but no luck. im having to injure myself just to try to take my mind off this crap uhg

Last edited by a moderator:
Catty5

Catty5

The reason why I asked you....if you quit antidepressant, cold turkey follows. That’s what I had 2 years ago. So much anxiety, confusion and depressed mood etc etc etc.... I was agitated

But I have no idea how brain reacts when antidepressant stopped working???.

Catty5

Catty5

yes im still taking my antidepressant. i think something is preventing it from working because it use to work now it doesnt.i think the gaba system in me is off the rails and haywire. for whatever reason. maybe something to do with to high glutamate levels. i have been taking a multivitamin with magnesium and ahost of other nutrients but no luck. im having to injure myself just to try to take my mind off this crap uhg
Do you have a high glutamate level?

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Johntron9999

Do you have a high glutamate level?
im not sure if i have high glutamate levels. but i would assume so because if i take an ativan or some type of benzo the anxiety and shortness of breathe and twitchyness and just all around freeking out is reduced so i would imagine the gaba system is out of hand. one thing to really note with people in this same issue is that there gut could not be working right. "leaky gut" can prevent you from absorbing nutrients and making seratonin, gaba, etc so that could be an issue.

J

JuneBug104

How about magnesium do you have any by chance ? I swear by magnesium glycinate ... it seems to calm me down and reduce my racing thoughts ... but that could be just me idk
It’s not just you! I swear by it as well. I feel the effects so fast too! I felt better the first day I took it I swear!