• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

I need others' views/experiences of this situation please....

D

DDorset

I started a job several months ago and work in what appears to be a small, very supportive team and love my job.

My Manager has been very supportive towards me and my mental health situation and I can honestly say that without his patience and empathy I probably would be out of a job by now.

My colleagues are very supportive and I hear from people who work in other departments/buildings for the company that they dislike my manager as he is a bully, or they've heard it through the grapevine that he is.

He does have a rigid, set routine of how our office is run and kept efficient, but I react better to that than having a manager who is slack! So in other words he sets boundaries that I like, I react well to and yet offers me regular support and has recently confirmed I am performing well at work.

One of my colleagues, who has been in the office for several years has told me that the manager is supportive for the first few months, then changes his ways.

The other colleagues in my team have never mentioned such things and appear happy at work.

The manager is fully aware that several years ago I entered a legal battle with a previous company I worked for......An harassment case!

Do you think what I am hearing from others could be unfounded or even if true, the fact I was in a legal case years ago would prevent anyone trying things on with me again?

Thank you.

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
It can be unfounded. There is always gossip that goes round workplace.

My advise would be simply keep on how you are going now and if a problems occurs worry about it but if there is no problem, don't worry. You are working hard, you seem to be enjoying it and you have a supportive manager who you like working for so there's no problem, simples.

pepecat

pepecat

It's only one person who's said that, and you think everyone else is happy.....
I would smile and nod, and take it with a pinch of salt. You need to form your own opinions on your manager, and so far they've been good.
Don't let anyone else influence your opinion (I'd say).

Purple Chaos

Purple Chaos

I agree with the other responses here. I think it'll be a bit of a 'wait and see' type thing.

Perhaps the colleague has experienced this personally and is just giving a warning of what they think will happen. Of course, this doesn't mean that it will definitely happen to you. On the other hand, it may be a rumour started by a disgruntled member of staff who didn't like the manager in the first place. There are many scenarios that could have led to this comment.

I wouldn't worry about it. Just carry on as you are. It sounds as though you're doing really well at work and that you get on with your manager.