I need help

M

margaretvge

ever since i was a little kid i’ve been having trouble with my life aspirations. things that affect it the most are movies, stories and music. one minute i have no idea what i want, then i watch Bohemian Rhapsody and all i can think about is how i want to be a singer. then i watch Ocean’s Eight and i want to become a criminal. then i watch avengers and i want to become an actress or a superhero. and the feelings are incredibly strong and i’m incredibly passionate about each of the jobs, but i’m worried because i can’t stick to one thing. is this a sign of some mental disorder?

Muddleduck

Muddleduck

It could be, or it could be normal. It depends how far you take the idea. I thought i wanted to be an actress and started to buy Stage magazine. I started to cut out articles for roles i wanted to audition for. I dreamed about acting all day and night for a few months, and then i lost the passion. I have been through that before with different things, and acting too once before.

It would become an illness, to worry about, if you started looking up the cost of flights to California. If you went along to some auditions in London and didn't get anything, gave up and went back to your regular job, that would probably be normal.

Some people are happy to live in the same house and work in the local town. Some like to roam. Some stay in one job forever, some keep changing because they are no good with relationships or because they want to try everything, do everything, see everything.

If you are thinking of fleeting passions, as in Bipolar Disorder or Cyclothymia, then these passions could be abnormal, although if you enjoy this about yourself, and other people think you are ok, then enjoy it. If it is distressing to you or causing problems in your life and with relationships, finances, then you might want to think about seeing a doctor about it. Especially if you also have depression i would think.

E

EstherRose94

I always want to be a detective when I watch law and order then I remember I’m not sneaky, I’m scared of everything, and I can’t run to save my life.

Once a few years ago I was seriously convinced I wanted to become a nun and my friends thought I’d finally lost my marbles but the desire passed lol. Nothing wrong with being a nun just would not be for me.

But I agree like it depends if it’s affecting your life. I’ve made some smallish decisions based on fleeting passions that then passed and it was fine.