• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

I need advice

magpie3318

magpie3318

So I have to make a choice soon on whether or not to move out of my apartment. I agreed to live here with my friends, but my anxiety has been bad and im terrified to go anywhere outside of the apartment. I don’t know if i should tough it out, or if i should go back home. If i stay I’d have to get a job while juggling school and idk if i can handle that. I’m fine if I don’t think about committing and staying, but the second i do I panic. I just feel so lost and scared and confused.

J

Jomp

Why don't you prepare for being on your own while living with your friends?

Get a job and see if you can juggle that with school while you're living with your friends. Devise a budget, plan your time, do your laundry, cook for yourself.

Assume that you're living on your own while you're still with your friends and it will show you that you can cope with what's required, which might give you more confidence when you finally decide to move out.

Anxiety isn't a reaction to a problem, it's the anticipation of a problem that hasn't happened yet, so alleviate those assumed worries now before you take the plunge.

Do one thing at a time and let that settle with you until you're comfortable before adding something new, and you'll train yourself that you don't need to shit your pants at the thought of every new change.

C

Copperhouse257

I went through anxiety/agoraphobia several years ago and was in the exact situation you’re in now. My mistake was that I hid out for so long trying to avoid the anxiety that I let years pass me by. I didn’t get any better until I started with a therapist that made me go through exposure therapy and cope with my fears. I know what you’re going through. It’s awful to want to go out and be like the others, but the fear is too much to handle. I honestly and truly believe that a therapist that knows how to treat anxiety with agoraphobia could help. Please take my advice that sooner is better. I wasted years of my life and it doesn’t get any easier. The longer you wait, the harder it is to break the mental walls. If I could do it all over, I swear to you that I would’ve continued to try to live my normal life and get the help I needed. Moving home just made it way too easy to hide out and avoid the world.

magpie3318

magpie3318

I went through anxiety/agoraphobia several years ago and was in the exact situation you’re in now. My mistake was that I hid out for so long trying to avoid the anxiety that I let years pass me by. I didn’t get any better until I started with a therapist that made me go through exposure therapy and cope with my fears. I know what you’re going through. It’s awful to want to go out and be like the others, but the fear is too much to handle. I honestly and truly believe that a therapist that knows how to treat anxiety with agoraphobia could help. Please take my advice that sooner is better. I wasted years of my life and it doesn’t get any easier. The longer you wait, the harder it is to break the mental walls. If I could do it all over, I swear to you that I would’ve continued to try to live my normal life and get the help I needed. Moving home just made it way too easy to hide out and avoid the world.
Thank you for this advice! It’s really helped!