• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

I need advice.

C

CraigMCS

I have a dear friend in the USA. (I live in Scotland) She's suffering from breakdowns, bad dips of depression and there is only so much I can say and do for here to keep her head above the water so to speak. I try my hardest with her and I seem to be able to do the trick the majority of the time.
She is refusing to go to see the relevant help at her school as they legally have to inform your parents apparently? I'm not sure what happened to patient confidentiality here? But not coming from the country I don't know what help there is available, what's my options here, she has to talk to someone but doesn't want this going back to the family for certain reasons. Anyone that knows what systems that are in place, could you please direct me or fill me in?

Just trying my best.
Craig.

Mayfair

Mayfair

Hi Craig :welcome:

I've copied your thread in the intros as I think you will get more responses in there at first. (local forums aren't as busy)

Lincoln1990

Lincoln1990

How old is she?

I know a lot about the mental health community (even if it's juvenile) in the US as I'm also from there.

If she's under 18 the school will tell her parents anything that happens to her.

C

CraigMCS

Thanks! I appreciate that!

C

CraigMCS

She has just turned 17 years old

Are there any other options for here confidentially?

Lincoln1990

Lincoln1990

There is no patient confidentiality for underage patients. The parents will be told everything that happens. Even if she has counseling in the school they will tell her parents.

I've been through this and it sucks so bad. But it's how it is.

She could try the Lifeline. Just Google Lifeline. There's a chat room and a phone number.

calypso

calypso

Admin
Over here we have things like YoungMinds, which are on the internet. Even though she is in the US, she could still talk on there and see if they can help. I also find the US system of telling parents a little odd. I can see that as a minor, which 17 is in the US (not here), they have a point. But there are things, like abuse at home, which I think would make that rule very destructive.

Lincoln can probably help a lot as she knows the US system very well. But there must be other internet sites like I mentioned. Anyone know any others?

C

CraigMCS

Woah, that's shocked me somewhat.
I'm assuming 18 is the cut off for this over there?

Lincoln1990

Lincoln1990

The Lifeline could be tried. I don't know if they have to tell her parents. Legally.

Legally they are her guardians. They legally make all major decisions.

Lincoln1990

Lincoln1990

Yes 18 is a legal adult. You can get emancipated at 16 for situations where you can support yourself and don't want their parents making decisions. You can drink at 21. But you can get married at 16 with parental consent. You can also join the military at 17 with parental consent/

calypso

calypso

Admin
Woah, that's shocked me somewhat.
I'm assuming 18 is the cut off for this over there?
The ages between 16 and 18 are a grey zone in Britain. Its not against the law to have sex with someone who is 17, if you are older, here, but it is in the US - I think (Lincoln - help?). That is all I meant.

Actually, what Lincoln said is similar to us, you can get emancipated minors here.

Lincoln1990

Lincoln1990

The ages between 16 and 18 are a grey zone in Britain. Its not against the law to have sex with someone who is 17, if you are older, here, but it is in the US - I think (Lincoln - help?). That is all I meant.

Actually, what Lincoln said is similar to us, you can get emancipated minors here.
It depends on the state law. A lot of states have a law where you have to be 16 to have sex AND the person can only be within 4 years of the 16 year old's age.