• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

I need a job, but my anxiety won't let me

L

Lg95

I'm 25 years old and I've never had a real job aside working at my dad's grocery store... I'm about to finish college(computer science) and I fear not being able to find a job because just the thought of a job interview makes me tremble... What can I do? I need to fix this, I would like to build a life like everyone else, find a partner, build a family, and all of that but sometimes I feel I'll die alone because of my awkwardness... I'm tall and good looking but weird af in social situations so once people get to know me they are almost always disappointed, I can sense it specially in the girls that try to approach me

E

Empty_void

You're guessing what people are thinking of you for fear of being rejected. I do this all of the time it makes me panic in social situations. I am also unable to work, my mind tells me I would rather die because I am not worth anything. It's a circle feeding itself, the only way to end it is to get angry, feel something, get to the core issue. You fear you'll die alone because of your awkwardness? Who wants to be like everyone else? I accept my awkwardness it doesn't mean I like it, but I have to live with it. I'd still rather be my weird self than anybody else. Computer science is an amazing skill, your skills alone will get you a good job, focus on this first. Keep trying, let your skills speak for themselves, focus entirely on what you can do. Everyone feels sick at interviews but it's never as bad as your mind makes it seem. It will just be a conversation. Ever had that fear of meeting someone new or panicking about some social situation? Well you survived that, and it wasn't as bad as you thought. I really hope this helps. Just remember it doesn't harm you, it's your mind trying to predict outcomes. Each time you do things that scare you, you will become mentally stronger. And love your uniqueness. :)

B

Boudicca

Have you talked to your doctor about your anxiety? Anxiety can make us afraid to do normal life things because it can be so debilitating. Me included. I get horrible anxiety and I can’t work. I also have other mental health issues that prevent me from working. Maybe talk about this with your Doctor and see what your options are. It could be medication or talking therapy. Anxiety can put our lives on hold. I wish you luck. :hug5:

K

karl7

I'm 25 years old and I've never had a real job aside working at my dad's grocery store... I'm about to finish college(computer science) and I fear not being able to find a job because just the thought of a job interview makes me tremble... What can I do? I need to fix this, I would like to build a life like everyone else, find a partner, build a family, and all of that but sometimes I feel I'll die alone because of my awkwardness... I'm tall and good looking but weird af in social situations so once people get to know me they are almost always disappointed, I can sense it specially in the girls that try to approach me
firstly welcome to the forums.....i have social anxiety too....its a major pain in the as*