• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

I made a huge mistake years ago, partially because of my SAD

• Thread starter dontknowwhattodowithoutyou
  • Start date
dontknowwhattodowithoutyou

Hi people, I hope you're all doing well. :)

Personally, I'm going through a tough time because of the corona crisis and everything. I guess most people on here can relate to this.

Anyways, let's get to the point of this thread.

I think this was like 5 or 4 years ago, I am done with university since 2 years. There was one lecture that was supposedly mandatory but this was only announced DURING the actual lecture. I was lucky to have attended the lecture (or maybe not, you can be the judge of that when you read the post fully). One of my friends wasn't there though. He asked me to sign the attendance sheet for him. I did that.
Back then I was super socially anxious still, I know this is NOT an excuse. I know I made a huge mistake and I feel super sorry for it and honestly, I hate myself for it. I don't know why I suddenly remembered this, I truly forgot and there was never any questioning coming from my university. This doesn't mean it was okay to do and I wish I would have just said no, but I was too afraid to do so...
By the way, I have NEVER done this afterwards again, nor have I ever cheated overall. I am a very honest person and would have never done it if I wouldn't have been asked.

Now, I feel like the worst person on earth, like a cheater and that this is academic misconduct. Like I don't deserve my degree, nor my job because I did this. This was such a stupid thing to do.

Thanks to all of you who read my post.

I just saw that I made a mistake, should be 5 to 6 years ago, but I couldn't edit the post anymore

jajingna

jajingna

I hope you can let that go, it really is not something you need to feel bad about.

soul searching

soul searching

Think you're over-reacting way too much.(I've done that many times) Stop beating yourself up. It's not like you killed somebody. What you did was very minor, the kind of thing lots of college kids do. Hope you can stop dwelling on this.

I

irwin

Meh. You got away with it. Just use it as a learning experience and don't do anything like that again.

Getting emotional about things you have no control over serves no useful purpose. Nobody's perfect. We've all had lapses in integrity. The fact that you feel bad about it means you're a good, decent person. Considering all the assholes in the world, you're definitely one of the good people.

jajingna

jajingna

Yeah, I believe that would rank low on most people's lists of "Worst things I've done" so consider yourself a decent person.

thank you all. You have been super kind, I highly appreciate it. :)

A

Aurin

I have anxiety too, and so I can relate to overreacting to minor stuff that happened years ago.
That said, what you did is pretty minor, so don't worry. If I had to guess you not the only one who even did this in the lecture you're speaking of. Many kids do this in college.

Seriously relax. You can let this go.

Hey all, it's me again. Having another major anxiety spike over this. :(
I feel like such a terrible person. I feel like I don't deserve my degree. Although I know that there are quite some students who actually cheated in the past. I didn't think enough when I did it.
I'm also waiting to see a therapist but this will take a while.
Any ideas on what I should do? :(

bpd2020

bpd2020

These sort of intrusive thoughts are very distressing. I really wish you could see that you are not a bad person. You do deserve your degree. I wonder if writing it all out will help? In CBT exercises the thought it written out and broken down to help the worry not be so intense.

F

fluffpill

Hey all, it's me again. Having another major anxiety spike over this. :(
I feel like such a terrible person. I feel like I don't deserve my degree. Although I know that there are quite some students who actually cheated in the past. I didn't think enough when I did it.
I'm also waiting to see a therapist but this will take a while.
Any ideas on what I should do? :(
i have done worse things in my college days. you're lucky this was all you had to do. i had to do much worse things because of my illness and because i was strictly an under average student in those days (again, due to illness i think or severe anxiety).

Thanks. It's just that it does feel so real. I feel like I deserve punishment....

bpd2020

bpd2020

I promise you that you do not deserve to be punished. That is the mean voice telling you otherwise. Please try not to listen to them.

I promise you that you do not deserve to be punished. That is the mean voice telling you otherwise. Please try not to listen to them.
You're so kind. But shouldn't people be punished if they do wrong?

hicks

hicks

You're so kind. But shouldn't people be punished if they do wrong?
But what you did was quite minor. I know we've all done things in the past that we regret, but that's because we're all human, and we make mistakes. You're a good person for having such a sense of right, and it probably weighs on your conscience. I've read what you did, and in my view it's not a really bad thing.