• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

I lost my Ebt foodstamps benefits

Not_Crazy_Yet

Not_Crazy_Yet

So I still have my housing and mental health services but I lost my food stamps. I was receiving $194 a month for groceries. But now that's gone. I lost them because I don't have a job. If I could work a job I wouldn't need food stamps. So now I'm looking at a situation where I may not have any food to eat. Thanks America. Needed that.

C

Coast2

So I still have my housing and mental health services but I lost my food stamps. I was receiving $194 a month for groceries. But now that's gone. I lost them because I don't have a job. If I could work a job I wouldn't need food stamps. So now I'm looking at a situation where I may not have any food to eat. Thanks America. Needed that.
Why did you lose your food stamps?

Not_Crazy_Yet

Not_Crazy_Yet

Because of a I believe Clinton era law that requires you to be involved in a work activity (work or volunteering) for 20 hours a week. During the economic downturn the law was frozen. As the economy has improved the law is now back into effect. So as I am unable to work at the moment I lose all benefits of EBT/SNAP. I applied for disability nearly 2 years ago and had to hire an attorney for my appeal. My lawyer says it may be another 2 years or more before my case goes before a judge. So I am left at the mercy of food pantries or churches for food now. I can try and reapply for benefits but you are only allowed I believe 90 days of assistance without employment. I don't know how I'm gonna pay my phone bill either. At least I'm no longer living in an abandoned house. I have stable housing thru August 2018.

B

Boring

I lost my food stamp a month ago too. I was considering going to soup kitchens and food pantries. luckily, I re-applied and got it back though. ever since then, I've been taking my journey for financial independence a bit more seriously than I've been taking it before I lost my food stamps.

At least I'm no longer living in an abandoned house. I have stable housing thru August 2018.
that's good

Last edited:
Not_Crazy_Yet

Not_Crazy_Yet

Yeah I'm thankful for where I am now. I'm in a small-medium sized city with lots of options for emergency food. And I have a mental health team that will take me around town to visit them.

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Only scum leave people without adequate subsistence.

I hope you get this sorted, and make it through somehow. Emotional and mental shit is bad enough, without additional destructive and pathetic measures handed down by those who are supposed to watch out for us and keep us safe :)

Not_Crazy_Yet

Not_Crazy_Yet

YAY! I got a call yesterday (from a different county that was weird) for a phone interview regarding my food stamps. I had to email them a copy of my lease and when I checked my account this morning I had $194 in benefits! (Actually I guess its past midnight now so it was Monday when I got the call and yesterday when I got my benefits. I'm so happy I got them back. Now I can buy some food.

Not_Crazy_Yet

Not_Crazy_Yet

All's well that ends well, as the old adage goes :)

I'm glad you got your food stamps sorted :)
Thanks. I think the only reason I got them back is because they asked if I had been working and I told them I worked from February thru July. BUT my victory may be short lived because you only qualify for 90 days of assistance without a job.

Poopy Doll

Poopy Doll

Hey there, not crazy yet. Sorry to hear your food stamps is getting all screwed up. I don't understand because I have a food stamp card also and they never ask me to work.

Not_Crazy_Yet

Not_Crazy_Yet

Hey there, not crazy yet. Sorry to hear your food stamps is getting all screwed up. I don't understand because I have a food stamp card also and they never ask me to work.
You might have to start working or volunteering. They just started putting this old law back in to place. You have to "be involved in a work activity" now. However it depends by county and the poverty level and unemployment level whether or not they'll reintroduce the law or rather WHEN they'll reintroduce it. Although (and I do hope this is the case for you) it might be different for people who are on disability.

Poopy Doll

Poopy Doll

You might have to start working or volunteering. They just started putting this old law back in to place. You have to "be involved in a work activity" now. However it depends by county and the poverty level and unemployment level whether or not they'll reintroduce the law or rather WHEN they'll reintroduce it. Although (and I do hope this is the case for you) it might be different for people who are on disability.
My not working has to do with my double sciatica, not my mental health. I guess I'll worry about it if it comes up. Good luck to you with the crazy rules.

Not_Crazy_Yet

Not_Crazy_Yet

My not working has to do with my double sciatica, not my mental health. I guess I'll worry about it if it comes up. Good luck to you with the crazy rules.
Thanks. I hope you don't have to worry about it. I know you actually receive social security disability where as I do not. So maybe they have different rules. I have been thinking about seeing if I can volunteer at the local MH hospital. I'm no wealth of information on MH but maybe I could help out some others with MI. I also could talk to the patients about substance abuse. That might help me keep my benefits.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
glad i'm not in usa though it's going the same way, notice the uk is under investigation for it's disability policy by the un, maybe the reason the us doesn't get investigated is the united nations is an instrument of us power and controlled by them

Not_Crazy_Yet

Not_Crazy_Yet

I got a letter yesterday from the Dept of family and children services. It was my approval letter. It States that I will be receiving food stamps thru Jan 2018. So I guess I can rest easy until next year and not have to worry about losing my benefits. Also now that I have that approval letter I can apply for discounted Internet service thru AT&T and not have to rely on my phones Internet hotspot which is slow and nearly useless. I'll be able to get DSL service for either $5 or $10 a month depending on whichever speed tier is available in my area. I'd like to get the fastest speed available obviously but if they only have the slower option available it would be much easier to come up with $5 a month seeing as I am unemployed.