• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

I just want to share my story

D

Distant_Alien

It has only been recently that I’ve decided for myself that (and I have been professionally diagnosed) that it’s not just anxiety disorder, panic disorder, depression and agoraphobia. I’m convinced it’s 90% Agoraphobia. When I was diagnosed 5 years ago I didn’t even know what the heck it was, it’s only been recently I’ve done some research. And I just sit there ticking boxes in my mind, it’s unbelievable to me. I do take some comfort that my symptoms are relatively common. Anyway, I think my agoraphobia is something like a 6/10. I can go to the shops and be out of the home for a few hours (if I’m prepared). I’ve even stayed in hotels. I’m also basing the scale on a 1 being bedbound and a 10 being no limits. I don’t mean to generalise! I’d love to hear some success stories, I’d love to talk to people in a similar boat to me. I’d love to be encouraged (as self centred as that sounds). I lived for years with this weird guilt, because all I could do was play Xbox, eat food, watch Netflix and sleep. Everytime I said that out loud I felt like a fraud. As I said, I’m starting to realise how common I am in relations to Agoraphobia. To my agoraphobic friends, which right now I have none. Again, I’d love to hear some success stories but this is the first time I’ve ever opened up like this. I’m not afraid to be vulnerable hear and I feel like this is a great opportunity to communicate with people who have or are going down the Agoraphobic road. Thankyou for reading.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
Do you push yourself to improve? I think setting ourselves small targets is the way to make life better.

D

Distant_Alien

Do you push yourself to improve? I think setting ourselves small targets is the way to make life better.
Yes, I’m finally working with a psychologist who’s giving me steps. Gradually more intense exposure therapy, I think we’re going to talk about getting on a bus next session. I’ve put my fears ranging from 1 which would be going to the mail box all the way to 10 which is catching a plane. So we’re making progress. Truthfully though I don’t push myself everyday, I do most days with a cold shower and a walk.

B

bebernipes

Hi there,

so I don't have agoraphobia, but I am glad that you are here on the forum.
I think it's great that you have had experiences like staying in hotels, it shows that you are a strong person. I am sure you will find many friends with agoraphobia to share experiences with.