• Welcome! If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

I just want to share my story

D

Distant_Alien

It has only been recently that I’ve decided for myself that (and I have been professionally diagnosed) that it’s not just anxiety disorder, panic disorder, depression and agoraphobia. I’m convinced it’s 90% Agoraphobia. When I was diagnosed 5 years ago I didn’t even know what the heck it was, it’s only been recently I’ve done some research. And I just sit there ticking boxes in my mind, it’s unbelievable to me. I do take some comfort that my symptoms are relatively common. Anyway, I think my agoraphobia is something like a 6/10. I can go to the shops and be out of the home for a few hours (if I’m prepared). I’ve even stayed in hotels. I’m also basing the scale on a 1 being bedbound and a 10 being no limits. I don’t mean to generalise! I’d love to hear some success stories, I’d love to talk to people in a similar boat to me. I’d love to be encouraged (as self centred as that sounds). I lived for years with this weird guilt, because all I could do was play Xbox, eat food, watch Netflix and sleep. Everytime I said that out loud I felt like a fraud. As I said, I’m starting to realise how common I am in relations to Agoraphobia. To my agoraphobic friends, which right now I have none. Again, I’d love to hear some success stories but this is the first time I’ve ever opened up like this. I’m not afraid to be vulnerable hear and I feel like this is a great opportunity to communicate with people who have or are going down the Agoraphobic road. Thankyou for reading.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
Do you push yourself to improve? I think setting ourselves small targets is the way to make life better.

D

Distant_Alien

Do you push yourself to improve? I think setting ourselves small targets is the way to make life better.
Yes, I’m finally working with a psychologist who’s giving me steps. Gradually more intense exposure therapy, I think we’re going to talk about getting on a bus next session. I’ve put my fears ranging from 1 which would be going to the mail box all the way to 10 which is catching a plane. So we’re making progress. Truthfully though I don’t push myself everyday, I do most days with a cold shower and a walk.

B

bebernipes

Hi there,

so I don't have agoraphobia, but I am glad that you are here on the forum.
I think it's great that you have had experiences like staying in hotels, it shows that you are a strong person. I am sure you will find many friends with agoraphobia to share experiences with.