• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

I just want to have friends...

R

Rocknroll540

The title may be a little misleading. I do have a significant other, who I live with. But I just feel so isolated. I'm 23, have always struggled to relate to others. I was the weird kid eating lunch by himself in school. I got into playing music, hoping to be accepted. But all that did was isolate me further. I guess I didn't realize no one my age has any interest in the guitar anymore... but I fell in love with the instrument and spent countless hours shut off from everyone, just playing guitar alone. I've never met anyone who understands my interests. I didn't have friends when I was younger, and because of my work environment, I can't really make friends with my coworkers or even talk to them during the day. I just feel so isolated. My significant other understands me, but we frequently work opposing schedules anyway.

And don't take it personally, but I am not interested in making friends with people online. It just doesn't feel worth the effort to me. I just want genuine human connections, in real life.

jajingna

jajingna

I was the weird kid eating lunch by himself in school.
Can relate. I never even went to the cafeteria to eat with others in middle or high school, too crowded and noisy, used to freak me out. Don't believe I did that even once, like sat down with everybody to eat and chat. Family was never an eat together bunch either.

G

Glorious Sunrise

Rocknroll540,

Hello. I can relate to your situation because I watch my son every day experience the same loneliness and isolation you feel. He went all the way through high school without making one friend and that remains to this day. My heart aches for him and for you.

It sounds like you have musical talent. That is a special gift you were created with. Are there other interests you have, reading, writing, etc? What do you think of the idea finding a interest group to join? Maybe musicians or guitar players to connect with? I believe playing guitar is certainly still an "in" thing. Maybe even joining a praise team at a church? Is there a place you attend?

Let me know if you have any thoughts on these ideas. I look forward to hearing back. In the meantime prayers for peace and guidance on this journey in life. God bless.

C

calnag31

Thanks for posting this, RockandRoll. I love your “name”, since I’m originally from the city that houses the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame...good, old Cleveland, Ohio. Having said this, I can appreciate feeling lonely or like an underdog. consider the Browns in football all these years! 😉

We have moved a good bit since my youth. That is always a challenge then to make friends. You’ve gotten some great ideas from the previous posters. For me, I try to find a church to connect to which has small group fellowship. My current church has this via Zoom with a few groups meeting in person. I don’t know your age or such, but people at work who were not Christians, both young and old, connected this way and started to make friends. They specifically like Christian churches with a Lutheran, Anglican, “non-denominational”, or Baptist connection. Check out some websites.

Beyond this, I shared the bones of your story with my son who is in band at his school this year. He was finding it hard to be in the band class next year given his course schedule. He had simply thought he would be in the jazz band which meets before or after school. Instead, your story helped inspire him to take one of his classes in a unique way which might allow him to be in band. My son is a friendly guy who doesn’t want anyone to be friendless. He thought maybe there were some kids in band at his school who might feel the way you did. Thank you!

i just prayed for you and hope to see you post again. Peace, RockandRoll!

O

oncebitten

Welcome I think you will find what you need here you just need an open mind :) Good Luck

Moonlight_Day

Moonlight_Day

And don't take it personally, but I am not interested in making friends with people online. It just doesn't feel worth the effort to me. I just want genuine human connections, in real life.
If you have music talent it shouldn't be hard to make some friends. Go to some gigs and mingle, put an add in the paper guitar player looking for guys to jam with. There must be local music forums or even Facebook.. who doesn't love to jam or get together with other musicians?

hicks

hicks

Music is the perfect medium to connect with other people. Whatever you play, there's the possibility of forming a group. And that can lead to connections, with the right people. Don't be afraid to move on if it doesn't work out or you don't meet the right people, but I think you have a great chance of connecting with others through your music.