• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

I just found out my high school friend committed suicide. Did he suffer?

L

LeoCorvidae

Former member
I just found out my high school friend committed suicide. Did he suffer?

My friend (who was 23) pleaded marriage with a young woman. When she rejected him for another man, he got very depressed. He threatened to hurt himself. One night after coming back to his home town, he sat outside during a rainstorm all night, he wrote a note saying he would hope he would commit suicide. The following morning he developed what seemed like a cold, except he became very ill, stating to others he was sure this would kill him. He developed problems breathing, throat and glands became swollen, and one day was found dead. Some kind of pus mixed with water was discovered in his lungs. I'm not too sure what this was exactly but I just want to know if he suffered. He died about three days after.

Last edited by a moderator:
W

Waverunner

Sorry you haven't had any replies Leo. It's very early in the UK when you posted and most members of the forum are in the UK.
I'm afraid though, that I can't answer your question. It's impossible to say. I'm not medically trained but would also have a lot of questions before I gave an opinion. Sorry not to be helpful.

L

LeoCorvidae

Former member
Disturbing also the fact inhaling moisture in your lungs could mess them up that badly. I still find it hard to believe he killed himself the method he did. I'll miss him

C

Christobel

It must have been a great shock to you, and it is good that you can talk about it. Suicide is very shocking and it is still somewhat of a taboo subject. I suppose only a coroners inquest will determine whether your friend took his own life.

L

LeoCorvidae

Former member
I didn't know he was depressed. never mentioned a thing on his facebook page.

R

RunningOnRiver

Sorry to hear about your friend..

It's weird how well some people can hide their depression/feelings. When i go out (which isn't often) I put an act on like there's nothing wrong. Twitter/Instagram etc.
When i see people i always wonder who suffers, because you never know. They might look happy but when they go home they'll be just like me..

A

Avan96

I'm sorry to hear about your friend.
Many depressed people go unnoticed, it's the bliss of being physically ill in the sense that you have constant support/compassion from others. Nonetheless, it's not good to dwell on his suffering, it will only bring pain. It's hard for me to find the right words because I also suffer depression, so i'm sorry for that.