• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

I I don't understand

Z

Zaz3

I just dont get the fascination with antidepressants or pills for mental health issues. In my experience of them they are dangerous, addictive and no one knows the long term damage they may cause. Feeling sad? Have a pill. Feeling anxious? Have a pill. Depressed? Have a pill. Can't sleep? Have a pill. The list of reasons to take a pill is endless.
Over the years I've tried at least 25 different antidepressants and not once have any of them lifted my mood. Yes they've affected me being so angry by suppressing my emotions. They've affected negative thoughts by dumbing down my mind, they've sapped my energy making me lethargic, they've broken my spirit and sense of adventure by numbing my mind and had all sorts of effects physically such as digestive problems, rashes, dizziness, putting on weight making my body feel heavy and aching...
To be honest I feel they destroy a person's capability to be free, independent and look after themselves, and instead make you rely on a drug to improve your life whilst at the same time weakening your ability to think clearly and heal in a more natural, less chemically intrusive way.
When I say that to my GP, psychiatrist or key.worker they say there's no medication to treat borderline personality disorder (emotionally unstable personality disorder, emotional intensity disorder)...they can't even agree on a name for it..and then continue to encourage use of pills to combat it.
It's a farce and seriously needs looked into...I mean antidepressants are meant for short term use not for years on end. In Scotland last year almost 1million people took antidepressants at a rate of almost 300million pills in daily doses. In England over 7 million people took antidepressants last year. Crazy figures. And the government claim to put millions if not billions into mental health. Where has this money gone, because mental health services in the UK are deteriorating at an ever increasing speed and people are not getting the help or advice the deserve. Forget covid, this issue is way more worrying. The UK is becoming a nation of sedated people and the figures rise every year.

N

No Mo OCD

Zaz, I feel the same way you do. I know others may disagree. A family member of mine was on an anti-depressant for many years. It seemed to me like it was just numbing them, but not solving the underlying problems.

I've received counseling a few times over the years and I always stressed at the first appointment that I was not open to taking any kind of medications. I stressed that I wanted to discuss my problems and try solving them without medication.

For me personally, sleep, exercising, and trying to stay busy helps the most. When I don't sleep or when I am too idle, depression hits me the hardest.

Z

Zoe1

I have needed medication
but I would not have done if I had more talk therapy
earlier on in life

I also think its a lot of hard work
getting the medication right
and getting the doctors to listen to our needs

D

Debaura500

Tbh people have no choice.

D

Debaura500

I'm going to bed without screaming and wailing like a banshee because trust me without pills I'd be sectioned or in prison

N

Nukelavee

They've affected negative thoughts by dumbing down my mind, they've sapped my energy making me lethargic, they've broken my spirit and sense of adventure by numbing my mind and had all sorts of effects physically such as digestive problems, rashes, dizziness, putting on weight making my body feel heavy and aching...
To be honest I feel they destroy a person's capability to be free, independent and look after themselves, and instead make you rely on a drug to improve your life whilst at the same time weakening your ability to think clearly and heal in a more natural, less chemically intrusive way.
I'm not having those issues with my meds. Maybe you just haven't found a workable combo for you yet.

bpd2020

bpd2020

Without an antidepressant my depression is very severe and I become unwell. Antidepressants take the edge of my depression but will never get rid of it totally. I think some people have high expectations of antidepressants. They think it will make them happy which is not what they are for.

Like you, I have side effects from every single medication I have tried but I am better on one then without.

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

I just dont get the fascination with antidepressants or pills for mental health issues. In my experience of them they are dangerous, addictive and no one knows the long term damage they may cause. Feeling sad? Have a pill. Feeling anxious? Have a pill. Depressed? Have a pill. Can't sleep? Have a pill. The list of reasons to take a pill is endless.
Over the years I've tried at least 25 different antidepressants and not once have any of them lifted my mood. Yes they've affected me being so angry by suppressing my emotions. They've affected negative thoughts by dumbing down my mind, they've sapped my energy making me lethargic, they've broken my spirit and sense of adventure by numbing my mind and had all sorts of effects physically such as digestive problems, rashes, dizziness, putting on weight making my body feel heavy and aching...
When I say that to my GP, psychiatrist or key.worker they say there's no medication to treat borderline personality disorder (emotionally unstable personality disorder, emotional intensity disorder)...they can't even agree on a name for it..and then continue to encourage use of pills to combat it.
It's a farce and seriously needs looked into...I mean antidepressants are meant for short term use not for years on end. In Scotland last year almost 1million people took antidepressants at a rate of almost 300million pills in daily doses. In England over 7 million people took antidepressants last year. Crazy figures. And the government claim to put millions if not billions into mental health. Where has this money gone, because mental health services in the UK are deteriorating at an ever increasing speed and people are not getting the help or advice the deserve. Forget covid, this issue is way more worrying. The UK is becoming a nation of sedated people and the figures rise every year.
20odd years of meds in my case would be to differ. If im not on my meds its dangerous for me. Each to there own but meds do help

Z

Zaz3

Ssri antidepressants really confuse me. They are meant to help increase levels of serotonin which in turn should lift your mood. Really that is their main purpose. I never get that effect from them. My low mood just does not change.

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

Ssri antidepressants really confuse me. They are meant to help increase levels of serotonin which in turn should lift your mood. Really that is their main purpose. I never get that effect from them. My low mood just does not change.
No they block the uptake pathways in your brain in order to keep more in your system. They dont create lots of new seratonin. I wish they did.

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

Im yet to find a way of boosting serotonin. There are ways to boost dopamine production but they are all short term, and invariably not a good idea

Z

Zaz3

It's thought that SSRIs work by increasing serotonin levels in the brain. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter (a messenger chemical that carries signals between nerve cells in the brain). It's thought to have a good influence on mood, emotion and sleep.
Not my words... the NHS 🤣

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

It's thought that SSRIs work by increasing serotonin levels in the brain. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter (a messenger chemical that carries signals between nerve cells in the brain). It's thought to have a good influence on mood, emotion and sleep.
Not my words... the NHS 🤣
I'm well aware of the effect of seratonin on the brain. Your SSRI is a selective serotonin re uptake inhibeter. Not being funny but the clue is in the words. Been on them for over 20 years. They do not produce seratonin. Sorry but I wish they did.

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

I'm well aware of the effect of seratonin on the brain. Your SSRI is a selective serotonin re uptake inhibeter. Not being funny but the clue is in the words. Been on them for over 20 years. They do not produce seratonin. Sorry but I wish they did.
Re uptake inhibeters. Different from monoamine oxidase or dopamine.