• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

I have recently started having thoughts of self harming

R

redpillar

Why do you/did you self harm? Why do i have these thoughts now when i never had them before? I had same issues before too but why have i gone towards self-harm? I never understood why people self-harmed now i see why they do it. Have my problems increased? Am i not thinking properly? I am confused what’s going on. Am i in my senses? I have history of psychosis and am on a stable dose of meds. I have attempted it twice in the last 2 months but never actually did it fully because of pain.

R

RedYeti

Sorry to hear that mate, sounds really rough.

Sometimes stress can bring these thoughts/feelings on, I can’t really speak to the reason why people do. Have a chat with your doctor and I’m sure they can help you out. 😊
I find writing helps me When I have bad thoughts, separates them from what I really think.

Don’t forget, things like this are more common than you’d think. So there’s a lot of people out there that understand and can help

Hope things start to look up, all the best

peace

FlowerBox

FlowerBox

I never understood why people did it either, and when I first started I didn't even really understand why I was doing it, but I have noticed for me I tend to go for it when I am overwhelmed with stress and anxiety, other times though I do it with no clear reason why...maybe subconsciously it is still to cope with anxiety, I don't know

I think maybe your brain is going to that as an option because you are not satisfied with whatever coping mechanisms/hobbies you have? Or do you have the thought that you "deserve" pain or punishment?

R

redpillar

I never understood why people did it either, and when I first started I didn't even really understand why I was doing it, but I have noticed for me I tend to go for it when I am overwhelmed with stress and anxiety, other times though I do it with no clear reason why...maybe subconsciously it is still to cope with anxiety, I don't know

I think maybe your brain is going to that as an option because you are not satisfied with whatever coping mechanisms/hobbies you have? Or do you have the thought that you "deserve" pain or punishment?
No i don’t think i deserve pain/punishment. I think you explained it perfectly.

FlowerBox

FlowerBox

No i don’t think i deserve pain/punishment. I think you explained it perfectly.
Well I hope you can use another way to cope...but I think having thoughts about self harm even if you don't end up doing it, is pretty common with mental health issues, even if we don't understand why we are thinking these things

P

Prycejosh1987

Why do you/did you self harm? Why do i have these thoughts now when i never had them before? I had same issues before too but why have i gone towards self-harm? I never understood why people self-harmed now i see why they do it. Have my problems increased? Am i not thinking properly? I am confused what’s going on. Am i in my senses? I have history of psychosis and am on a stable dose of meds. I have attempted it twice in the last 2 months but never actually did it fully because of pain.
It will get worse if you do not address the issues at hand. Do what you need to o to get support, any life is important especially yours.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Self Harm Forum 6