• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

I have pure O and I have a question

P

PureO87

I've been diagnosed with depression, ocd and anxiety disorder just the past year. I've been dealing fairly ok with it, but being the obssesive person that I am, I have this new obssesion going on in my head. Every night before I go to sleep, when I'm drifting off, I hear things. Like random conversations, or my mom's voice calling my name, or a song, just anything random. I'm scared to death of having schizophrenia or sonething like that. I know this auditive hallucinations are relatively common, I know they're called hypnagogic hallucinations, and I know that they're not a symptom of schizophrenia. But I still can't seem to get the idea out of my head. I didn't used to get them so much, but since a panic attack and crisis of anxiety I had last year that cause me to have sleeping problems, I seem to get them almost every night and I'm sooo scared. Can anyone relate/ give me advice? Just to be clear, I don't hear voices when I'm awake, It's just the moment before sleeping. And I don't know if it has to do with it, but I often have lucid dreams. Help anyone?? Please, I'm so scared.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Even before I saw you'd mentioned hypnagogic hallucinations, that's what I thought was going on.
I think it's good that you have the facts - whilst it might not be easy to battle your fears, it always helps to have a logical explanation.

I'm wondering if the fact that you are now anxious about this and going to sleep is feeding into the problem - like there might be a bit of a vicious cycle going on.

Have you tried changing your bedtime routine to include things to help you relax?
There are all sorts of things you can try, like herbal teas, aromatherapy sprays, a nightlight, earplugs, listening to calming music etc.
I know it's not much help, but it might be worth trying some relaxation techniques.