• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

i have no support

thedreamswehad

thedreamswehad

I've had my phobia since i was about 5 years old, i am now 16 and it has got increasingly worse over the years. I am starting exposure work soon. The only problem is i have no support from anyone, my friends and family and even therapist doesn't understand. When i see or hear my phobia on tv which is where i see it most i have to either cover my eyes and ears or run out of the room, if i see it in real life i run, scream, cry and have a panic attack. After seeing, hearing or even thinking my phobia i feel sick and dirty. I just wish people could understand. When i told one of my family members recently about my phobia she said she understood and actually had the same which made me angry and upset because i've seen her do and talk about things i could simply not with my phobia, it seems like people underestimate how my fear makes me feel and i don't know how to help them undersatnd and how i will get over this without any support. :unsure:

I know someone who has done exposure work for ocd but not for a phobia, has anyone done exposure work for a specfic phobia before, and did it help?

Thanks.

M

MR.b

I have had the same problem since i was 13 years old, I have lots of phobia's mostly of people being harmed, and my body just quivers in terror if i see almost anything harmful in tv or movies, or pictures for that matter.
I am sorry your going through this, the only thing i been able to do make me feel better is to skip out on TV , or watch something where u know there nothing that activate your phobia's. when i was 15or so i started to just cry , because of the pain these fearful images caused.
U just might be very Sensitive, Its not a ezy thing to deal with.
But remember your not alone. Not ever one can watch or do the same things.
maybe someday this fear whatever it may be will go away.
I know im just someone u dont know, but i hope it helped in someway or another.
Keeping thinking positive thoughts. : )

thedreamswehad

thedreamswehad

Thank you for your reply :)

M

MR.b

welcome

Anytime my friend

thedreamswehad

thedreamswehad

I was due to start exposure work but was told by the psychologist who was asked to do it with me I cannot do it any more because of why I have my phobia (linked with abuse). I was told 'it would be unethical' and that my phobia is too complex. This has left me very down and wondering if my phobia will ever go as there is nothing my psychologist, therapist or psychiatrist will do with me. :cry:

M

MYDOGSMELLS

I don't think you said what kind of abuse, if it's sexual abuse you could try SAIVE - sexual abuse and incest victims emerge. just type SAIVE into google and it's the first thing on the list. hope this helps.

Last edited:
thedreamswehad

thedreamswehad

Thank you, I am now looking at the website. :)

thedreamswehad

thedreamswehad

Yeah I think so, I am going to send them an email to see what they can offer.

M

MYDOGSMELLS

I have managed to get control of most of my phobias, though none i'm sure will be as traumatic as yours. sometimes you can't get rid of them fully but you can sure learn to control them, I like to think of it as I have the upper hand;) they don't control me anymore!
i've had cognitive behavioral therapy and it changed my thinking A LOT.

M

MYDOGSMELLS

Just realised that SAIVE may only operate in the staffordshire area, and is for adults, having read your first post again and seen you are 16, if it doesn't work out with saive try the NSPCC or www.aest.org.uk.