I have NO motivation to exercise

S

sapphirerain

I’m disappointed with myself because I have NO motivation to exercise at all. I haven’t been to the gym in about a month (or more). I pay $65 AUD per month for my membership there, but I’m thinking about cancelling it because I hardly use it. I have a lot of difficulty in finding a sport or exercise that I enjoy. Even though I’m a slim person, I know I do still need to exercise to improve my fitness and keep up my health.

I was thinking about picking up swimming laps maybe twice a week, because I used to like swimming and I’m not too bad at it. There’s a pool only two minutes away from my house. I just can’t seem to stay consistent or stick to a routine. Exercising feels like such a big hassle to me - getting ready, going there, facing people who are more athletic than me, then actually exercising, showering, getting ready again, going home, and then doing everything else for the day. It really puts me off. Why does it feel like such a BIG task? I know some people who exercise every morning before work/school and then get on with their day without even thinking about it. I wish I could be more like that.

I just can’t find any motivation. I also know that exercising would make me feel better in the long run, but I simply cannot stick to it. For instance, I’ll suddenly feel inspired to go to the gym once in a month, then I won’t go for another two months. My girlfriend likes the gym, and I’ve tried to feel inspired by the fact that she goes there, but STILL, even that doesn’t drive me to get going.

If anyone has any advice or has been in a similar situation to me, I’d really appreciate your words of wisdom.

Last edited:
Cazcat

Cazcat

Staff Member on Leave
Depression can really impact on our motivation. I love swimming, it's part of my staying well plan, yet when I'm not well it becomes a massive effort. Are you on treatment for your depression? Sometimes we need a little chemical help to get us to a point where we can manage the other things that help us stay well. If your depression is bad at the moment set little goals, even things like having a shower can be a big achievement when you are not well.

Another thing I find helpful is routine. I go to the gym straight from work, I find that motivating myself to go back out once I get home Is much harder.

H

Hypno

When it comes to depression and motivation, I will give you the best advice I can possibly give you.

Do what you can, and don't beat yourself up for doing what you cannot.

Make a routine. Write down on a calendar that you will go swimming on a certain date/time. Make absolutely as much progress as you possibly can to doing it. Get ready, get dressed, leave, travel there, etc. etc.

You can fail at any point, but go until you absolutely fail. Even if you only get out of bed and dressed before deciding you cannot go, that is better than nothing and you are still making progress. It's one step at a time, not all at once, and you are intimidating yourself by experiencing all of the potential negative things in your head before they have even happened (And if you back out, they never actually even happen outside of your own head at all).

Again, things feel big because you are going through an entire day's activity in your head in one moment. You can't condense a day's worries into one moment because it will feel like such a big deal, but really you have hours and hours to spread those stressors out and try to cope with them as best you can. Don't wait for motivation to strike you, you are in charge of what you do and in your own mind especially you must take this power back from your subconscious worries.

frogsplash

frogsplash

hi sapphirerain,
this is what i do at the moment as i am not mad on exercise, but appreciate it is important to get some.

all you have to do is, a few times through the day if possible otherwise one really good session of it...

do pushups, but before you say "i dont like pushups"...
you do them on your KNEES.
this is much easier than doing it the usual way of being on your toes, but, you still get a good workout, as you can feel your chest and arms being worked.
you breathe out as you push up, and breathe in as your go down

i do this a few times through the day, it only takes a minute or two to do them.
i generally do 10, 20 or 30 pushups each session depending on how i am feeling (eg, the first session in the morning i only do 10 or so pushups as a kind of 'warm up' and so not to strain myself)

perhaps later in the day i might do 40 or 50 pushups when my body feels more 'awake' and loose. dont forget i am doing the pushups using my knees (i find it too hard (and annoying/painful) doing it the traditional way on your toes).

ok well anyway hope thats helpful.. if anything it's really good because doing the above gets rid of your guilt of not doing any exercise. and each session only takes a few minutes, so you dont have to make the exercise your 'life' so to speak, or pay for gym membership, or go outdoors (that said if it's a nice day its nice to do it in the garden etc)

ps. a tip if you do it.. if you vary the amount you have your arms apart when you do the pushups, you will find it works different areas of your body. eg. if you have your arms close together near your sides, then it works your arms more.. however if you spread your arms apart further, away from your sides, then it works your shoulders/chest more

Last edited:
K

kangaroopink1

I've been in your shoes, and I know how it feels like to skip exercise simply because there's no motivation in it.

You can start slowly, baby steps first. This is what I do, I tried download some apps on my phone and exercise in my room to warm myself up. and then, I start joining group exercises. I was super intimidating at first as I don't know anyone there, and I didn't want to be seem like the person without friends. But I told myself I must try to get myself out of my comfort zone and I did. I went to the group exercise and to my surprise, people were friendly and I made a few friends who I still keep in touch with now.

Just tell yourself, that you are doing this for you and not looking at it as a chore :) I believe in you, and you can do this!

R

rosiered

I know what it's like to have no motivation and it's very difficult to do the least little thing. It's just not in you to get a move on. You could try taking very small steps and don't expect much from yourself, just do what you can do and see it as progress. Try something easy like walking or slow jogging and only do what you can when you can. Work yourself up from there until you feel like doing something bigger. Take your time and don't push it and you will get there eventually.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Depression Forum 5
P Depression Forum 3
C Depression Forum 1
its_cricket Depression Forum 3
J Depression Forum 3