• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

I have anxiety, why is my doctor prescribing an antipsychotic? New drug naming system unveiled

F

firemonkee57

I have anxiety, why is my doctor prescribing an antipsychotic? New drug naming system unveiled

What's in a name? Doctors have found that the name of the drug you are prescribed significantly influences how the patient sees the treatment. Now in a significant shift, the world's major psychiatry organisations are proposing to completely change the terminology of the drugs used in mental disorders shifting it from symptom based (e.g. antidepressant, antipsychotic etc.) to pharmacologically based (e.g. focusing on pharmacological target (serotonin, dopamine etc.) and the relevant mode of action). This will mean that patient will no longer have the confusion of being prescribed a drug for what appears to be an unrelated condition, but also means that drug names will be more understandable to doctors.

The new terminology is being presented to international clinicians at the European College of Neuropsychopharmacology conference in Berlin. This international launch marks the start of a process of discussion and negotiation between academics, clinicians, pharmaceutical companies, and regulatory bodies. The rigorous nature of the new nomenclature means that this can be supported by an app, which will assist clinicians in making the correct treatment choices. This beta 1 version of this app will be also available in Berlin.

I have anxiety, why is my doctor prescribing an antipsychotic? New drug naming system unveiled - Medical News Today

Toasted Crumpet

Toasted Crumpet

ACCOUNT CLOSED
It means they can more easily prescribe totally unnecessary shit and we won't question it as we won't know wtf it is!!!!

I mean how many anxious people are going to want to take antipsychotics reallly??

coldwater00

coldwater00

I think antipsychotics should be a last resort. They're just being handed out left right and centre though, makes me sick. It's as if they're just seen as a cure all nowadays. My Mum knows someone who got prescribed one for dizziness.

Toasted Crumpet

Toasted Crumpet

ACCOUNT CLOSED
My Mum knows someone who got prescribed one for dizziness.
Carbamazepine is sometimes prescribed for meniere's disease and the vertigo associated with that

I had some years ago for dizziness from ear problems but I didn't have menieres so really shouldn't have been, and they didn't tell me it was an antipsychotic or i would never have taken it!!

Jaminacaranda

Jaminacaranda

I've been prescribed antipsychotics twice for labyrinthitis which causes extreme dizziness. Indeed I've got a whole packet of them in my drawer now. One tablet eases the symptoms almost immediately and I've only ever had to take them for about five days and then the labyrinthitis has gone. It's true my GP didn't tell me they were antipsychotics - I found out by reading the leaflet enclosed with the tablets and then researching online. I will be happy to take them again if I get labyrinthitis in the future - it is a terrifying feeling and it is impossible to even move your head an inch without feeling nauseous. In order to get to the toilet I had to crawl very slowly across the floor.