• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

I have an urge to jump and run around

K

kitkatpattywack

This is a very interesting thread.

When I was a kid and well into my young twenties something that sounds similar to what people are describing would happen to me all the time. I'm 58 now and for a solid 30 years I haven't had the same exact problem...not even close to it.

Let me describe to see if this sounds about right.

I'm comfortable and always alone when this happens. Usually playing with toys or later building a model. I'm getting really into it and concentrating on it, getting more and more excited.

Next thing I know I'm standing up, throwing my hands around without even thinking about it. They go everywhere, fast, and my feet are moving. It sure as heck couldn't have looked like dancing. More like I was having some kind of seizure.

The whole time, I'm still thinking about whatever it was I was imagining as I did stuff....like a story is playing out in my head. Fast! And I THINK I might have made weird short noises but it wasn't words. A lot of repetitive woopwoopwoop, or bopbopbopbop, quietly.

Things that would bring me out of it were either that I'd just run down and lose my breath eventually, or a loud noise.

As long as no one caught me, it never really hurt anything. I did get caught a couple times and talk about being embarrassed! There was no way I could explain it and back then there was no way I ever found to control it....except I admit there must have been because I wouldn't ever do it around people. When something excited me too much I would just go into another room and do it.

I grew out of it. I can still feel myself getting excited about something and sometimes get a short, "Eureka!" type moment where I might stand up or throw a hand in the air. But nothing that would be considered "out there", like I used to do.

This has me wondering, what are the ages of people going through this?
i’m 18 right now, and i think i noticed that i started doing this when i was about 15 or 16

S

Spiritofthewolf11

I’m so surprised I got an email about this thread as I made an account 5 years ago to share what my behaviors were like. This is a different account than I made cause I lost the account info for my first lol. As you might expect, I still have hyperactive symptoms and jump arounf despite being in my early 20s. I’m not sure if they’ve gotten more or less frequent, so I guess I could say it’s about stable. Going to college was tough cause I couldn’t jump around with people living below me and it was super embarrassing when total strangers complained. What I will say is it’s not distressing when I am not able to jump around, but I still have urges to run around and I’ve learned to be quieter.

Over 5 years I’ve learned so much about mental health through my college education and field work, so I just wanna thank you all for continuing to post. Getting more awareness is the only way we’ll get closer to finding answers to what this is, so keep posting and don’t be ashamed of who you are. We’re not people that need fixing, we just have different behaviors and would perhaps like some help. Thank you guys, so much!

H

Habiba amir

I actually have very much the same kind of urge. I've never heard of it anywhere else besides you or I. It affects my ability to do homework as I tend to run and jump around for a while and not do work. Then I stay up instead of doing it in the first place and that affects my sleep. I tend to not think enough to stop myself from doing it. Although lately I've been better at controlling it, I'd still like to know why this happens. With me, I start to imagine a situation in which I'm fighting or doing something awesome. Then it just takes over unless I stop myself or the scene I've created reaches its end. Does any of this sound familiar to you? I'd really like to know if this is something that happens or is just rare.
Girl I have the same problem please tell me it's name so I can get treatment

H

Habiba amir

I actually have very much the same kind of urge. I've never heard of it anywhere else besides you or I. It affects my ability to do homework as I tend to run and jump around for a while and not do work. Then I stay up instead of doing it in the first place and that affects my sleep. I tend to not think enough to stop myself from doing it. Although lately I've been better at controlling it, I'd still like to know why this happens. With me, I start to imagine a situation in which I'm fighting or doing something awesome. Then it just takes over unless I stop myself or the scene I've created reaches its end. Does any of this sound familiar to you? I'd really like to know if this is something that happens or is just rare.
Yes it does I am the same

H

Habiba amir

So glad I've found this thread. I've been doing this for years and when I've previously googled what happens to me I've never found anyone remotely similar! It happens when I'm relaxed yet excited, like during a day dream or if I'm creating a scene in my imagination. Sometimes if I'm watching a storyline on tv that I find exciting I'll start daydreaming about it happening to me and it'll make me need to run and jump. It doesn't feel like a compulsion but more like an urge, like a burst of energy building up inside, sometimes my boyfriend knows I'm about to do it and puts his arm across me to stop me going but it just makes it worse. Most of the time I don't know I'm doing it, it's become such a normal part of my life. I feel like I have no control over it but I don't do it at work so subconsciously I must know works not an appropriate place to do it!
Same here

B

Blue_Jaybird

I know this is an old thread but I can't express how happy I am to have found this. I'll be watching TV and daydreaming and get overexcited. I end up jumping up and running up and down the hallway as like, a way to get out all that energy and excitement. My mom doesn't like it because it's noisy and annoying. It made me feel really guilty and down on myself because I can't help it but I really want to so I stop annoying my mom and stuff. My siblings call me out a lot to and ask why I do it but obviously it's hard to explain because it's just an urge. I began to think maybe I'm just weird and it made me feel really bad. So it just made me really happy and relieved to have found this and realized other people experience the same thing.

bpd2020

bpd2020

I know this is an old thread but I can't express how happy I am to have found this. I'll be watching TV and daydreaming and get overexcited. I end up jumping up and running up and down the hallway as like, a way to get out all that energy and excitement. My mom doesn't like it because it's noisy and annoying. It made me feel really guilty and down on myself because I can't help it but I really want to so I stop annoying my mom and stuff. My siblings call me out a lot to and ask why I do it but obviously it's hard to explain because it's just an urge. I began to think maybe I'm just weird and it made me feel really bad. So it just made me really happy and relieved to have found this and realized other people experience the same thing.
Hello Blue Jaybird. Welcome to the forum. You may like to introduce yourself herehttps://www.mentalhealthforum.net/forum/forums/introduce-yourself.40/
so we can welcome you. :)

G

goodgollymiss

Maybe you could do a zumba class